Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dreaded Decisions



Neither myself nor Forrest are particularly interested in either of the teams playing in tonight's game so we decided to forgo any of the traditionally over crowded Super Bowl parties this year. I love the Super Bowl commercials more than the game (which woman doesn't?) and I couldn't help but cringe to think about craning my neck around other party goers to attempt to see the screen in a packed room half-full of strangers that I have to stand up in due to lack of seating. So after some consideration we decided to take a laid back approach to Super Sunday and watch the game at home with just the two of us. But just because we weren't having people over or going to anyone's party doesn't mean that we wouldn't have our own little party. So I planned a football game appropriate menu and decided we would do finger- foods in place of dinner tonight. I have had a blast today getting the menu ready in anticipation for the big game.

While collecting ingredient, printing out recipes and planning timing I couldn't help but smirk at my excitement for tonight's game. It is funny how life changes and priorities align. Here I am at 27, fired up about staying in with my husband and watching a game on my couch. I wondered if I could be so anxious and eager to start watching a football game on TV that I don't even care about the teams - what would I have been like on this same day if I had taken my parent's advice back in 1997. When I was growing up, my parents were always right. Of course I didn't know this at the time I was 16 when it would have been appropriate to have this revelation. Nor do I believe if I had known this fact I would have been willing to accept it gracefully. As an adult, I often reflect on decisions I made against my parents advisement and realize how completely wrong I had been in my actions. I was reminded of one of these situations today as I readied myself for our little intimate Super Bowl Party.

During the winter of 1997, the SuperBowl was hosted in New Orleans in the Superdome. The coordinators of the half time show offered all of the local high school dance teams the opportunity to participate in the big show. Since I was on dance team at a New Orleans High School, this invitation extended to me. I took one brief look at the practice schedule and said, "no thank you". No way was I going to give up my precious weekends and free time to practice for this event. I had enough with regular dance team practice, high-school football games and who knows what other wildly important affairs I had going on at 15! My mom told me I was making a mistake and that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. My dad said that he couldn't believe I would miss the chance to dance in front of millions of viewers on TV during the most important game of the season. None of this mattered, I wasn't about to commit to something so time consuming. So I didn't participate and instead I watched several of my friends during the big half time show as the cameras grazed their faces, elbows and ponytails. At the time I had no remorse for my decision. But now that I am a little older and wiser, I realize it was a once in a lifetime chance. The Super Bowl was never hosted in New Orleans again during my high school career and I doubt that anyone will be extending me the offer to shake my stuff during the famous Half Time Show ever again.

Potato Skin Fries

3 russet potatoes
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and Pepper
3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese blend
3 slices of bacon, cooked until crisp then crumbled
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
Sliced green onions for garnish

1. Wash potatoes thoroughly then rub with oil and wrap individually in aluminum foil.



Place on oven rack and bake until tender at 375 degrees for about and hour and a half.

2. Unwrap potatoes from foil and let cool. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise


and scoop out the flesh of the potato leaving about a 1/2 inch of the flesh in the skin. Then cut each half in quarters. Be very careful not to break each quarter.

3. Place the potato quarters on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover the skins with cheese and then top with cooked bacon.



4. Broil the skins on High until the cheese is melted and golden. Garnish with green onions and serve with sour cream.



These little taters were very yummy. They were the perfect answer to turning potato skins into finger food. By quartering the potato halves, the skins became the perfect size for picking up and dunking. No knife and fork needed!

8 comments:

Spryte said...

I think it's so cool that you're together enough to blog about today's menu and already have it up!

I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Happy Meal move over! These finger sized potato wedges look like the perfect appetizer; and fret not, I'm sure Forrest will be thrilled to see you shake your cash and prizes at him during half time.

MaryBeth said...

These look perfect, I would be more than happy to sit on the couch with you eating these and watching a game that I too have interest in..other than the commercials.

Anonymous said...

And she's back ... now this story outshines the food item! And now I remember why I am such a faithful reader of your blog ... the stories. Oh yeah and the fact that I am your sister.

Jessica

PS Thanks for telling mom about our superbowl sliders ... they want to know why we did not invite them over :)

Dragon said...

Staying home with someone you love, great food and a good game, sounds like heaven to me. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on avoiding the big crowds this year, especially when you are just there for the commercials!
These look delicious!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

These looks delicious and I'm with you on the Superbowl this year. In fact, we ended up watching a Law & Order marathon more than the game itself!

Joie de vivre said...

Just pray that your parents never muttered the oath under their breath, "Someday, I hope she has a daughter just like her." I am positive that my mother in law muttered that oath about my husband, and now we have two rambunctious boys just like he was! Isn't it funny though that only as adults, we find out that our parents were usually right.