Friday, February 6, 2009

Winging It



Buffalo Wings were the finger food my husband requested for our Super Bowl "party". I had never made them before and when I began researching recipes I quickly realized that this dish was prepared by deep frying the wings. Since I had already used up my free pass on deep frying for the year on the jalapeno peppers, I knew I had to find another way. After quickly skimming through 77 Buffalo Wing recipes on the Food Network's website I found one that didn't require deep frying. Ina Garten had a recipe where the wings were broiled in order to achieve the perfectly cooked and somewhat crispy crust. This is a great way to prepare the wings if you are trying to avoid deep frying.

Buffalo Chicken Wings
Modified from Ina Garten

Ingredients
  • 16 chicken wings (about 3 pounds)
  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Tabasco
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Celery sticks, for serving

Directions

Preheat the broiler.

Cut the chicken wings in thirds, cutting between the bones. Discard the wing tips. Melt the butter and add the cayenne

, hot sauce, and salt.

Put the wings on a sheet pan covered in aluminum foil (trust me on this part - it makes clean up a breeze) and brush them with the melted butter.

Broil them about 3 inches below the heat for 8 minutes. Turn the wings, brush them again with the butter, and broil for 4 more minutes or until cooked.

After the wings are cooked, toss them in the left over sauce for extra flavor before serving.

Serve the chicken wings hot or at room temperature with blue cheese or ranch dressing and celery sticks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look finger-lickin' good. Your perseverance and resourcefulness paid off. These chicken wings are certain to have been a hit.

Spryte said...

Those look so good!!! We make a LOT of wings at my house and I had wondered how they'd come out without frying. I'll have to give this a try!

ashley said...

i've made these twice for hubby. they're tasty but each time the high heat with the grease from the chicken wings sets off our fire alarm! i love that i can make wings that aren't deep fried though!

Stephanie said...

These look so good!

...also I nominated you for the Lemonade Award! Head over to my blog to receive your award!