Thursday, February 12, 2009

Frozen Folly


Every story has a moral. The moral of this story, don't use frozen corn in recipes. I got this recipe from the Superfast 20 minute dishes section in Cooking Light magazine. I like to use those recipes for weeknight meals since I get home so late. The recipes in that section are normally good, but not as stellar as the other recipes in the magazine. This one could have been amazing, if it weren't for the frozen corn. I understand the reason they suggest using frozen corn is to save time. However, I believe using canned corn would have saved the same amount of time and would have had a much better flavor. I found the frozen corn to taste, well frozen and it really took away from this dish. The shrimp were delicious - mild but flavorful - and the relish had potential had it not incorporated a frozen main ingredients.

Three-Chile Dusted Shrimp with Quick Corn Relish
Adapted from Cooking Light December 2007

Yeild

4 servings (serving size: 4 1/2 ounces shrimp
and about 3/4 cup corn mixture)

Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
  • 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons minced ginger
  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn (use canned corn)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
Preparation

Combine 2 teaspoons sugar, chili powder, chile powders, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish.

Add shrimp to spice mixture; toss well to coat.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup onion, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger to pan; sauté 3 minutes.

Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

and corn to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds.

Transfer corn mixture to a bowl; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup green onions.

Wipe pan with a paper towel. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until done, turning once.

Serve with corn mixture.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have a Trader Joes near you -- I'd suggest trying their Frozen Super Sweet Corn. I think it is better than canned.

Looks great.

MaryBeth said...

We love shrimp and we really love love love corn...this looks very good.

Caroline said...

Well it looks really good...i'm so hungry!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Looks great!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks awesome and I love how colorful the dish is!

Nina Timm said...

I agree...frozen, canned????nutritional values I think is the same. I have to agree on the "taste issue! A lovely light option and a recipe I will definitely try soon!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... another dud from Cooking Light, huh? Well at least your photography was better than their recipe! Thank you for the review.

Liz said...

Do you think your frozen corn was old, and that's why it had a frozen taste? I have never had a problem with frozen corn, and I use it a lot. I think canned corn would have ruined the texture of this recipe.

Anyway, the recipe looks good! I love shrimp and corn together.

Spryte said...

That looks so good!! I'm totally craving shrimp now!

Colleen said...

This looks really good and I will be sure to use canned corn!

Anonymous said...

Fresh, flavorful, colorful--I don't think this dish is lacking anything except a fork, so I can dive in :).

Kira said...

Huh, I've never had a problem with frozen corn, and I use it all the time! This looks delicious anyway.