Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hog Hassle


My older brother Trey and I are far enough apart in age that I don't really remember us fighting very often as kids. We weren't in high school at the same time, we didn't have the same group of friends, we didn't share a room or clothes and we were always at different points in our lives growing up. There really wasn't much cause for discord. In addition to the age difference, it is also important to note that Trey is extremely easy going and not one to cause fights in general. I am sure his laid back attitude was also an important factor in the harmony between the two of us during my childhood.

However, I do remember one day when my big brother wasn't so gentle to his baby sis. I am sure if you asked Trey he wouldn't even remember this event, but I still think this particular memory is why I don't like pork to this day. One particular afternoon when the 'rents were out of the house and the children were left to their own devices, Trey and I got into an argument over a pork chop. Yes, a pork chop. The details are fuzzy, but apparently I ate the last leftover pork chop that Trey was looking forward to as an afternoon snack. My normally laid back bro didn't take this finding lying down. He was livid. A fight ensued and this is the part I remember like it was yesterday - he boxed my ears and raised me up by my head against the wall and as my feet dangled he told me that if I ever ate his pork chop again he would kill me.

Now I don't know if you have ever had your ears boxed but it doesn't feel very good. And then, being lifted off the ground from your head up is also not so pleasant. Especially when there is a lot of body below the neck - and even as a young girl I was very tall, so there was a lot of body below the neck that is. The pain was brutal (albeit short) and his warning noted. This story makes us sound like a bunch of underfed vultures and I guarantee you we weren't. That is probably why this memory is so clear to me, oh and the pain helps too. I am sure I caught the normal peace-making Trey on an off day. Maybe he was REALLY hungry and I ruined his plans. Who knows? But we both survived to tell of it and I can't be sure, but this might be why to this day I try to avoid the other white meat.

Maple-Balsamic Glazed Pork Medallions
Cooking Light December 2007

Yeild

4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation

Combine syrup and vinegar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.

Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 3 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in mustard.

Cut pork crosswise into 8 pieces. Place each pork piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork evenly with salt and pepper. (The picture below is about 2 lbs of pork. That is how much the package I purchased from the grocery contained. So I pounded the whole package and saved half for another recipe.)

Add pork to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side. Add vinegar mixture;

cook 1 minute or until desired degree of doneness, turning pork to coat.

Place 2 pork medallions on each of 4 plates; drizzle about 1 tablespoon syrup mixture over each serving.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent story Elizabeth - and your recipe ain't bad either! The maple syrup and vinegar combination has me salivating.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

My older sister used to sit on my butt/back, and beat on my back because I wouldn't help her clean! haha... PS. the pork looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Maybe we WERE underfed vultures. One of MY most vivid memories is the ruined Thanksgiving dinner. And the culprit was a fight over the last cresent role!

Your Sister,

Jessica

P.S. I can't imagine Trey boxing anyone's ears.

Woody said...

why does Jessica always sign her post "your sister, Jessica" and why does she always add a PS?

Jessica - you know you can get a login so you can have a picture next to your name and a signature so you never have to write "your sister, Jessica" again.


Very good pork chops.


your husband

Forrest

PS I too can't imagine Trey boxing anyone's ears.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Amazing looking dish!!

Anonymous said...

As an older brother, you are constantly looking for new and exciting ways to torment your younger siblings. You certainly can't do anything that will leave a mark or draw blood. And the tried and true methods of noogying and indian burns are so boring. So every now and then you venture outside the box and try something new. I do not remember why it was my pork chop, just that it was MY pork chop. Nevertheless, I do regret that this incident had such a lasting impression on my baby sister, but the bully in me can't help but feel a little pride in the effectiveness of the message. For the record, I was and am one of the most gentle easy-going people on this planet and I spent countless hours of my childhood playing and entertaining my little sister and brother. It is the main reason I want a big family now, I had so much fun growing up that I want my only son to have that same experience.

Anonymous said...

Bizzy's husband, Forrest,

Signing Your Sister, Jessica is my MO.

Your Sister-in-Law,
Jessica

PS Shouldn't you be more concerned about Trey boxing Bizzy's ears than my posting style ... lol.

Anonymous said...

I guess it is only fair that the true ADULT in the family give her side of this pork chop incident. As I remember it.........my kids loved fried pork chops (in my defense, this was prior to knowledge about transfats and fried foods) but none of them would eat the main dish ....which in New Orleans was of course, RED beans and rice. So..the rule at our house was,,,,each kid could have TWO fried greasy pork chops, but only after they ate the entire bowl of red beans and rice. On this particular day, as I remember it...Trey only ate one of his two pork chops, opting to save the second to eat when he came home from football or baseball practice the next day. The kids LOVED those pork chops, and to this day, I don't know what made Bizzy eat her brother's treasured saved pork chop. Did this transgression deserve being earboxed???? of course not. What happened to mild mannered Trey? Maybe like Jem from To Kill a Mockingbird....for a moment "he simply went mad". What mother can ever understand her children??????? I think we are put here to love them without understanding them.

Shelby said...

I can't help but chuckle over all your family responses here! I'm probably old enough to be your mom, so I'll have to say, her comment make good sense! ;)

On the other hand, I was the older sister, but the brother after me was the bully in the family....not me! :-D he he. Seriously!

In any case, I came here because I saw your post on Tastespotting and because I am always looking for ways to fix pork! I recently made something slightly similar from Healthy Cooking. Your pork looks delicious!

test it comm said...

This pork sounds really tasty!