Monday, February 2, 2009

Popeye's Pick



Every food blog has to have a Spinach and Artichoke Dip recipe. It is, after all, the most ubiquitous party appetizer. Everyone inevitably has eaten it at a party or brought it to a party themselves. I never bring Spinach and Artichoke dip to parties because I like to try to bring something very unique or special. However; that does not mean that I don't totally dig this stuff. What isn't to love about cheesy melty goodness? Since I wouldn't normally decide to bring it somewhere I thought it was the perfect appetizer to make at home for my two person Superbowl Party. Forrest's Aunt Lucy once served this version, and I loved that it wasn't full fat. Very tasty and oh so easy - just throw all the ingredients in the bowl and stir!

Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Adapted from Cooking Light September 2007

Ingredients
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, softened
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
  • 1 (13.5-ounce) package baked tortilla chips (about 16 cups)
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1 3/4 cups mozzarella, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and next 6 ingredients (through spinach) in a large bowl;

stir until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish or pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.

Serve warm with tortilla chips.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this blog was going to be about Popeye's Chicken!!
This looks better than Popeye's!

Anonymous said...

OMG - you had BETTER bring me a smidge of the leftover spinach dip. And that's all I'm going to say about that!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

i love love love spinach artichoke dip and this looks wonderful!



my gourmet love affair
said...

This looks absolutely mouth watering. I have an urge to make this as a late night snack right now...
Delish! <3

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy! I have a spinach dip recipe in my blog too. I am going to try this recipe! I would have loved to be a guest at your Super Bowl party! Looks great!

MaryBeth said...

I must say that I have never eaten this, but yours is really making me want to give it a try.

Debbie said...

That looks absolutely delicious!!!

Unknown said...

Elizabeth - do you think this dip could be eaten cold/room temp? Need a spinach dip recipe for a bday party this weekend.