Monday, February 9, 2009

Petite Parade Partiers



Most of my New Orleans dishes are prompted by homesickness or a yearning for my family. My sister sent me this video of my Niece and Nephew getting ready for their first Mardi Gras parade. After one viewing of my precious pint sized relatives filled with so much excitement and anticipation for their first parade of the season I knew I would be whipping up a New Orleans inspired dish on Saturday evening. I love their dance moves, their outfits, the big brother's profound advice when his little sister takes a fall and both of their willingness to " Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulet"! And don't worry, Sawyer wore pants to the parade.




Andouille Cheese Grits with Crawfish Sauce
Courtesy Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound chopped andouille sausage
  • 4 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cups quick white grits
  • 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • Essence, recipe in link above
  • 2 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 12 cup minced yellow onions
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1 pound Louisiana crawfish tails (NO CHINESE CRAWFISH)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Dash of Tabasco hot sauce
  • Dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions, green part only
  • 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Directions

Render the sausage in a saucepan, over medium high heat, cooking about 4 minutes. Add the milk, salt, cayenne, and butter and bring to a boil.

Stir in the grits and reduce the heat to medium.

Stir for 30 seconds, then add the cheese and stir until the cheese melts.

Cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the grits are tender and creamy. Pour the grits into a greased 9x13 glass pan lined with greased parchment paper.

Refrigerate the grits until firm. Or place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Using a 2-inch round cutter (I used an egg ring that was about 3 inches because I didn't have a round cookie cutter) , cut the grits into six rounds (I got about eight rounds).

Season the flour and bread crumbs with Essence. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned flour.

Dip each cake in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off.

Dredge the cakes in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating each cake completely.

Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the cakes for 3 minutes on each side.

In saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season the onions with Essence. Saute for 1 minute. Add the garlic and crawfish tails.

Season with Essence. Saute for 1 minute. Add the cream and bring up to a boil.

Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cream has thickened. Season the sauce with hot sauce,

Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir in the green onions and cheese. To serve, spoon the Crawfish sauce over the Andouille Grit cakes.



This was an amazing dish fit for a very special occasion. It was really not as involved as it may seem because the grits could be made the day before or in the morning . Once the grits are set, the dish comes together very quickly. Be sure to save the scraps of grits (left over from the circle cut outs) because they are delicious on their own and you won't want to waste them.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mon Dieu que ton nièce et neveu sont absolument adorable. Déplacez Fred Astaire!

Anonymous said...

I know I may be biased, but this is my favorite post so far. And the food look delicious!!!!!

Your Sister,

Jessica

Liz said...

What an interesting recipe! I have never tried anything like this but it looks amazing!

Woody said...

i like the Mardi Gras shirt the kids are wearing in the video.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks wonderful! I love how the grits have been 'kicked up a notch' and the crawfish to top it off is amazing!

Maria said...

Interesting!! I love it!!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through Foodgawker. This looks so delicious! I'm definitely saving the recipe to try later!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! I saw the picture on foodgawker and just had to click it to find out the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

If you are ever in south Louisiana, stop in to cafe des amis in Breaux Bridge. Saturday Mornings or most mornings and order the Eggs Begnaud. homemade biscuits toped with crawfish etoufee, couple of eggs, and andouille cheese grits. Awesome. This article so reminded me of the cafe. thanks

MaryBeth said...

These look so rich, spicy and delish!!

Mary said...

I made this last night and it was delicious. I had to use shrimp instead of crawfish and it tasted great. Thanks for sharing!
Mary

gaga said...

That sauce looks so rich and delicious! I wish I had some right now to sop up with crusty bread. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I think I want this!

Your sister,

Jessica