Friday, January 30, 2009

Meatless Menu Item



Some foods just aren't attractive. And therefore, not as fun to blog about. But I feel like I have an obligation after I have made a recipe and documented its every step through photograph to share it on this blog. So I present to you - Thai Eggplant Dip. I had a dinner party where some of my guest were not meat eaters and this is what I served as an appetizer. It was well received. But I can't attest to it personally since I would never eat anything that contained raisins - eck!

Thai Eggplant Dip
Adapted from Cooking Light 1998

Yield

24 servings (serving size: 1 pita wedge and 1 tablespoon dip)

Ingredients
  • 1-pound Japanese eggplant, about 2
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 package of whole wheat (6-inch) pitas
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°.

Pierce eggplant several times with a fork,

and wrap in foil. Place eggplant on a baking sheet, and bake at 425° for 1 hour. Cool slightly. Peel, seed, and mash eggplant with a potato masher. Transfer mashed eggplant to a food processor and puree.

Combine raisins and water in a small bowl.

Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at high 30 seconds. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes; drain. Add raisins, basil, and next 5 ingredients (basil through garlic) to eggplant.

Combine ingredients with a fork.

Preheat broiler. Sprinkle pitas with cheese, and broil for 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut each pita into 6 wedges, and serve with eggplant dip.


4 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles said...

That looks really yummy! And I'm totally jealous of that chip & dip bowl!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - now this is a great flavorful dip! I especially like Japanese eggplant (such as the long thin one you used) and what a great app to serve that's healthy too!

Anonymous said...

Well it may not have been as fun for you to blog about the eggplant appetizer, but I'll wager guest tastebuds sure had fun savoring it's flavor!

test it comm said...

This eggplant dip sounds good! I like the raisins in it!