Adapted from Cooking Light January 2010
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels, roasted or grilled
- 1 (8-ounce) container lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, peeled and seeded
1. To prepare fritters, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper) in a large bowl,
stirring well with a whisk. Combine buttermilk and eggs, stirring well. Add egg mixture and combine.
Add corn, and crab to flour mixture, stirring gently until moist.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 5 batter mounds (about 2 tablespoons each) to pan, pressing each with the back of a spatula sprayed with cooking spray to slightly flatten.
Cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden and thoroughly cooked. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and batter.
3. To prepare guacamole, combine tomato and remaining ingredients in a bowl.
Mash avocado with fork to desired consistency. Serve with fritters