Whole Wheat Penne with Sausage, Eggplant and Feta
Adapted from Cooking Light April 2005
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 pound bulk hot pork breakfast sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups hot cooked whole wheat penne (about 10 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cubed feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
Cook eggplant, sausage, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 12 minutes or until sausage is browned and eggplant is tender.
Add tomato paste,
tomatoes and black pepper; cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cooked pasta and cheese
and parsley to the tomato sausage mixture; toss well.