Homemade Granola Bars
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa
- 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 12-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
Toss the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Toast the wheat germ in a dry skillet over a medium flame. Transfer the oatmeal mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the toasted wheat germ.
Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
Place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add the apricots and cranberries and stir well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Using a spatula sprayed with cooking spray and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan.
Serve at room temperature.