BLT Pasta Salad
Adapted from Food Network Magazine
- 12 ounces corkscrew-shaped whole wheat pasta
- 1/2 cup milk
- 12 ounces lean bacon
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce, cut into 1 inch chunks
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as the label directs. Drain and toss with the milk in a large bowl; set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the pan. Add the tomatoes, thyme and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through; season with salt and pepper.
Crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces; set aside 1/4 cup for garnish. Toss the remaining bacon and the tomato mixture with the pasta.
Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and 5 tablespoons scallions with the pasta until evenly combined.
Season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce; toss again to coat. Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 tablespoon scallions. Serve at room temperature.