Monday, January 19, 2009

She "woks" hard for her Money

This was the perfect dish to throw together after a long day at work. I normally do most of my cooking on the weekends since that is when I have the most time in the kitchen to hone my craft. But occasionally when I do choose to cook on the weekdays, I need my dear husband to help me out since I get home so late. Today was no exception, he helped by peeling the shrimp and readying the ingredients - he makes a great sous chef. Luckily for me, that was about half of the steps to throw this meal together. I took the corn off of the cob last night and came home to already peeled shrimp and ingredients on the counter, so this dish was ready in no time at all. And boy was it GOOD!

Sizzling Shrimp with Corn Relish
Adapted from Cooking Light September 2008

Yield

4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped shallots
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp
  • 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation

1. Take corn off the cob using your new corn zipper you received for your birthday from your mom.

2. Combine first 3 ingredients; set aside.

3. Heat a 14-inch wok over high heat. Add oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add shallots, garlic, and jalapeño to wok; stir-fry 30 seconds or just until shallots begin to brown.

Add shrimp to wok;

stir-fry 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Add corn; stir-fry 1 minute or just until corn is heated.

Stir in juice mixture;

sprinkle with cilantro (which I forgot to sprinkle on before the pictures were taken - oops.)

The sweetness of the fresh corn and the saltiness of the fish sauce worked wonderfully together. I served it over a bed of fresh spinach, but it could have been served over brown rice for a more hearty alternative. This dish had a Thai flavor that was very satisfying and different. I will be adding this easy and fast meal to my rotation for sure (Who am I kidding? What rotation? I can't tell you the last time I cooked the same thing twice - but if I had one, I would definitely add this recipe!)

8 comments:

MaryBeth said...

This looks absolutely fabulous... We love shrimp and corn and my husband is a cilantro FREAK!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok....
1. I'm totally jealous of your corn zipper. I want one!
and 2. I hear on the absence of a recipe rotation. I always say "Next time I make this, I'll.." and my husband just laughs and says "Yeah right. You know you don't make things more than once." :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks like a great recipe and gives me another reason to play with my wok :)

Anonymous said...

Corn Zipper? You've been holding out. This meal looks fantastic! I'll bet it was the lime and cilantro that lent the Thai flavor!

Melissa said...

Corn Zipper? Something I never knew I needed! What a cool little tool. I love fresh corn and cilantro. I'll definitely be trying this!

Woody said...

Three cheers for the sous chef! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

It was a very good meal and I enjoy cooking with my wife very much.

Dragon said...

I soooo want that peeler!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm printing out this recipe! My Twins boys LOVE shrimp! It's their fave protein! The only one they don't mind eating more than once a week.

Thanks for passing along the recipe & sharing all the great photos!
~ingrid