Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hangover Ham

I know, I know, Christmas Ham is a more widely used term. However, growing up in my house we never had ham for Christmas. Baked Ham was a New Year's Day tradition served with Black-eyed peas and potato salad. I don't really like Turkey and I LOVE Ham. So it was always a struggle for me to wait until the absolute last holiday of the season to get my beloved ham.

This year, I wouldn't be at my parent's home for New Year's Day so I decided to continue the tradition in my own home. I called my mom and asked her how to make baked ham (it has never been known as hangover ham until this year) as I would be trying it myself this year. She rattled of the ingredients and the instructions in less than 2 minutes. It couldn't be that easy? Well let me tell you, it was! And it was the perfect recipe to attempt for the first time the morning after a typically alcohol soaked celebration.


Baked Ham
Recipe courtesy my Mom

Ingredients

1 Half Ham
1 small can of Pineapple Rings
1 small jar of Maraschino cherries
1 20-ounce bottle of Coke

Directions

Remove ham from packaging and place in roasting pan.

Open the jar of Pineapples and pour the juice over the top of the ham.

Place the four pineapple rings on the front of the ham securing with two toothpicks per ring. Push the toothpicks in until you have about 1/2 inch of the pick left sticking out of the ham.

Open the jar of cherries and pour the maraschino cherry juice over the top of the ham.

Place two cherries on each pineapple ring by placing them on the exposed toothpick ends that are securing the pineapples.

Pour the bottle of coke in the bottom of the pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 18-20 minutes per pound. (Internal Temperature should be 148 degrees when it is ready.)

Bast the ham (both the front and top) every 20 minutes in order to help the glaze form.

This ham was amazing. By far one ot the easiest things I have cooked and definitley one of the tastiest with the best leftovers. All of my guest were pleased and the sweet candy-like coating on the ham was a hit. I didn't get pictures of the ham after carving because we had company and I didn't want to subject them to a long photo taking session during their first meal of the New Year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great! I've never tried ham with Coke before.

Anonymous said...

Man oh Man oh Man, that looks downright decadent! I'll bet it was the perfect compliment to those black eyed peas! Hapy New Year!

gaga said...

Mmm, that looks tasty. I've never had ham in coke, or if I did, I didn't know it was coke. It's a great idea though!

test it comm said...

Pineapple and ham are a great combo. I will have to try the Coke next time.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I'll definitely have to try using coke next time - what a great idea!

MaryBeth said...

Looks wonderful and I bet it tastes just as good. Great Job!

Joie de vivre said...

I see the start of a new tradition! I love the photo of you kissing your kitchenaid. :)