Monday, March 8, 2010

Fast Flu Fix

My Mother in Law raved about the outcome of this very easy recipe. It seemed so simple to make that I knew I had to give it a try, but could never find the right time. Then my husband got a sick belly and I knew I had found my opportunity. I whipped this up in no time at all and he was more than pleased with his homemade sickly soup solution. It was ready in the same amount of time I could have run to the supermarket, purchased and can, opened it up and heated it - and it was soooo much better than any canned soup could ever dream of being.

Quick Chicken Noodle Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light January 2010

Ingredients
  • 2 cups water
  • 32-ounces homemade chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup prechopped onion
  • 1/2 cup prechopped celery
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 6 ounces no-yolk egg noodles
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
  • 1 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley flakes
Preparation

1. Combine 2 cups water and chicken broth in a microwave-safe dish, and microwave at HIGH for 5 minutes.

2. While broth mixture heats, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, celery, salt, pepper, and carrot; sauté 3 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently.

Add hot broth mixture and pasta;

bring to a boil. Cook 7 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.

Stir in parsley.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

4 comments:

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Your soup looks wonderful!

Krista said...

Love homemade chicken noodle soup! This looks wonderful. Hope your hubby is feeling better and that you avoid the bug.

teresa said...

i love chicken noodle soup! this looks wonderful, and the perfect cure for the sickies!

Sush said...

That looks delicious. I have a chicken soup recipe from my girlfriend's 'Mimmy' that is fantabulous but takes almost and entire day. This quick fix is just what I need for the days where time is of the essence!