Monday, March 29, 2010

Safe Sweet Solution

Recently my boss celebrated his 50th Birthday. I knew I wanted to make a special treat for his reaching this milestone year, but was nowhere near settled on what I should make. He is a really "safe" eater with less than adventurous taste buds. He never tries any of the sweet confections that I bring to work and normally turns his nose up due to one ingredient inclusion or another. Knowing this about his taste preferences I was worried to make something to celebrate his birthday that he wouldn't enjoy. As I thought through the myriad of choices I remembered an account my boss had shared with me about a time he almost ate an entire box of Nilla Wafers in one sitting. I was convinced, if he enjoyed the boxed version so much - he would be in love with a homemade rendition. Needless to say, he was!

Vanilla Wafers
Adapted from William Sonoma

Ingredients:
  • 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room
    temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions:

In the mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar and salt.

Beat on medium speed until smooth. Reduce the speed to low, add the egg yolks

and vanilla and beat until blended.

Add the flour and beat until incorporated and a smooth dough forms.

Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a log 7 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

Preheat an oven to 350°F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

Using a sharp knife, cut each unwrapped log crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake the cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until the edges and bottoms are golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Makes about 65 cookies.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

16 comments:

Caroline said...

Well? Did Mr. Picky Eater eat any? I'm bummed that I missed them! They look perfectly delectable...

Stella said...

These are perfect little cookies. So golden and delectable looking...And, yeah, did he eat any?

Elizabeth said...

He did eat them! And he said he loved them, so I think it was a good choice.

Woody said...

I loved these cookies.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

These look delicious. I'm not a big fan of the boxed kind but I'm willing to give these a try, I'm sure they would be divine in banana pudding.

Memória said...

I've made homemade nilla wafers for a banana pudding once, and they were great! A bit more buttery than the ones at the store. Your wafers look perfect. I'm glad your husband liked them.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE to make these! I love the store-bought ones so much, but I never buy them because I always feel bad eating mass-produced baked goods :P

I'm glad he liked them! They look great!

teresa said...

oh my goodness, these would have the boxed ones shaking in their boots!

tasteofbeirut said...

I would have quit had he turned up his nose at those! These look picture perfect, Donna Hayes productions in short, awesome!

Linda said...

Homemade nilla wafers are such a thoughtful and inventive gift; plus, they look absolutely delicious--your boss is lucky to have you around. I hope he remembers this at raise time. ;)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

These look great! I've never seen homemade vanilla wafers before, but I think they're such a great idea. And, they look so much better than the store-bought ones.

Debbie said...

They look so good. I know my son and I would devour them!!!

Krista said...

My toddler adores Nilla Wafers. I've never even thought about making them from scratch. How cool!

Julesie said...

Getting ready to make your cream cheese pound cake again and spied these little beauties! Can't wait to try these out on my family - maybe on the side of homemade banana pudding!

Pam said...

Your cookies look delicious and I will be trying them! Yum!

Vivian Thiele said...

These look delicious and I can't wait to try them out. You always post such awesome recipes!