Monday, March 15, 2010

15 Things to Make Before You Die - Installment #5

I wasn't really fired up about making this recipe because in my opinion you don't eat coconut - you rub it on your body in lotion form when you are ready for a suntan. I can't smell or taste coconut without thinking of basking in the sun. Knowing what we know now about skin cancer, I don't really lie out in the sun for hours on end like I did when I was a kid. I was probably the only 8 year old who used to tan for several hours in her back yard jonesing for a tan. No, it wasn't that I was incredibly vain or had some secret desire to have the best tan in the 2nd grade. The reason that I spent hours lying in the sun next to the pool as a child was because I had a sister who was 9 years older than me who loved to "lay out" and a little brother 3 years younger than me who may have been half fish as a child. During the summers we would spend the entire day in the back yard around or in the pool. Jessica would lie on the beach chair and I would lie on the beach towel on the ground next to her while Kent swam in the pool all day. Jessica would dictate when to flip, when to take a dip in the pool to cool off and when it was time to go inside for a drink. I did what she said, she was my older teenage sister and she obviously knew what was cool. Back in the day I know we were using Banana Boat Suntan Oil and every time I smell coconut I am transported back to those lazy and warm summer days.

Luckily, I knew that although I wouldn't be able to eat this pretty pie I would have more than enough willing participants. If you make it, they will come! Everyone was truly please with this pie and said that the flavor was perfection. My pie crust was less than desirable on the aesthetic scale, so if I could just get some tips on how to crimp a pie crust I think I will have this recipe down pat.

View my progress on the list below:

1. Yeast Bread - Check.
2. Beef Tenderloin Steaks - Check.
3. Cream Pie - Check.
4. Creme Brulee
5. Fudge
6. Cream Puffs
7. Crown Roast
8. Fried Chicken
9. Roux - Check.
10. Pasta and Cream Sauce - Check.
11. Roasted Turkey and Gravy - Check.
12. Chocolate Pudding - Check.
13. Layer Cake - Check.
14. Souffle - Check.
15. Chicken Stock - Check.

10 down, 5 to go!

Coconut Cream Pie
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients
  • 1 blind-baked 9-inch pastry shell (pastry shell baked for 10-11 minutes)
  • 2 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for the egg whites
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 3/4 cups toasted coconut
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a saucepan, whisk the 2 cups of the milk and 3/4 cup sugar together.

Place the pan over medium heat and bring the liquid up to a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks together. Temper the hot milk into the egg yolks. Whisk the egg mixture into the hot milk mixture.

In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining milk, making a slurry. Whisk the slurry into the hot milk mixture.

Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until the filling is thick, about 4 to 6 minutes. Fold in the vanilla,

coconut,

and butter.

Mix well. Pour the filling into the prepared pan and cool the pie completely.

Using an electric mixer with a whip attachment, whip the egg white to soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar and whip the egg white to stiff peaks. Spread the egg whites over the top of the pie.

After the eggs whites are spread over the top of the pie, use a butter knife to pull the meringue up into peaks. Place the pie in the oven for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

13 comments:

Julie said...

I'm glad I gave up on the tanning too, I'm terrible at it! I think I would be great at eating this pie though!

The Chef In My Head said...

Beautiful!! Great job! ~LeslieMichele

Stella said...

This pie looks wonderful, Elizabeth. I want a slice now! The crust thing will get better and better with the more pies you make I'm sure. I sometimes watch tutorials on Youtube with pastry chefs lining their tart pans and such right before I make a pie-it helps a bit...

Krista said...

My mouth watered as I looked at your perfect coconut filling. YUM! I have no aversion to coconut whatsoever. I want some of this now! Good work on a lovely pie.

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha ... I forgot I had a chair and you did not. You sure can remember some stuff! Pie looks very pretty. I would not eat it either ... no chocolate. I have a 300 page book about pie that you can read next time you are at my house. I am sure it will have some tips about pie crimping.

Your sister,

Jessica

P.S. No more tanning for me ... I hope Sawyer does not follow in my footsteps.

Anonymous said...

oh and btw ... i am only 7 years older than you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am not a huge coconut fan either, but that looks delicious - great job!!

Love the list!

MaryBeth said...

The pie is perfect...I think you should add a 16th item to your list, Baked Alaska.

Sush said...

Elizabeth,
I didn't see when you toasted the coconut...did you, or is it possible to purchase coconut toasted? The recipe looks fantastic.
S

Woody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Woody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Woody said...

I ate this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner until it was gone. I love coconut and I really loved this receipe. Thanks for making this for me.

Love

The Husband

Elizabeth said...

Sush,

The recipe didn't call for toasting the coconut. You could definitely toast the coconut if you wanted to enhance the flavor though. Just toast it before you mix it into the filling!