Friday, September 18, 2009

Savoring Seattle Series #2

Another one of our stops in Pike's Place Market during our trip to Seattle was Market Spice. Market Spice is a spice and tea company and they had it all! As you can see below, they had hundreds of glass jars filled with every spice, seasoning, tea, coffee and sugar you could possibly imagine.

I was in heaven! You could buy the spices by the ounce and so I went wild. I purchased four different types of salt and several variations of sugar. One in particular that I found very interesting was the green chile sugar. I had never heard of of such a thing and was immediately intrigued. They let me have a taste and I was hooked. The green chili sugar had the smoky heat of a jalapeno but was perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the sugar. I was instantly sold. I didn't have the slightest idea of what to do with this spicy sugar, but I knew I needed to have it. After returning home and dedicating a little thought to uses I figured this was a great recipe that was screaming for a little sprinkling of my new spice rack resident.

Fresh Corn and Pepper Scones
Adapted from September 2007 Cooking Light

Yield

12 servings (serving size: 1 scone)

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 7 3/4 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 ear)
  • 2 finely chopped seeded serrano pepper
  • 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon green chile sugar
  • Cooking spray
Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk or pulse twice in a food processor.

Cut in butter with a pastry blender or food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Stir in corn and pepper.

Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist (dough will be slightly sticky).Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 2 or 3 times with lightly floured hands.

Pat the dough into a 9-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 12 wedges, cutting to, but not through, dough.

Sprinkle with green chile sugar.

Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.


11 comments:

Molly Jean said...

Oh my... what a fun place to visit! I could get lost in a store like that. But unlike you, I would STILL be trying to figure out what to make :)

Your scones look fantastic. I just wished you lived closer so I could try a bite!

Cupcakes with Nic said...

Hey Chica -- so since I love your blog so much, i just nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award -- check out my blog for details :)

mamma3monkeys said...

My sister ran into William Shatner and his wife there. She snuck a picture with her camera phone ecause she knew we wouldn't believe her.

I would be tempted to go the way of the corn as well. cornbread. or how about on some shrimp? yum!

kimberly said...

I'm so glad you made it to Market Spice! Seattle is my adopted home town and I love the small foodie culture we have here. My daughter went to daycare/preschool at Pike Place Market for over 3 years. What an amazing place it was for her to explore!

Love your blog, btw. I always mean to comment more. I've never been to New Orleans and am so interested in your recipes - one of these days I'll be bold enough to try something named crawfish. ;-)

Ana said...

Hi, I always see your posts on the CLBB and have been following your blog for a while, really cool recipes!
Your scones look delicious. I love the idea of savory scones, they are great with soups during the winter months! I made one once with oats and cheese and it was also good.
Oh I would love to have a Market Spice place around here, I would also go crazy!
Ana

Kerstin said...

What a cool store, I would have had trouble deciding what to get (or what not to get.. lol)! The green chili sugar sounds so interesting and your scones sound like the perfect way to to use it!

Krista said...

Market Spice sounds amazing and these scones look wonderful! I'd love one alongside a steamy bowl of soup on a cold night!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Great looking savory scones! That spice store looks amazing... and reminds me I need to stop by our local spice shop for a few things!

elly said...

These look delicious! I bet the green chili sugar was the perfect topping.

Woody said...

These scones were my breakfast the next five mornings.

Spryte said...

That looks AMAZING!!

I bet the spicy sugar would be great on nuts!