Saturday, September 12, 2009

Potato Profit

I learned a long time ago to never attempt to recreate some one's signature dish. During my attempts to make Jumbie in my own kitchen, I threw in the towel and vowed to stick to my own recipes. You can never live up to legendary recipes and it is a wasted effort to even attempt to do so. I know this defeatist attitude is discouraging, but some things just can't be outdone.

This is exactly why I have never made potato salad for my husband. His maternal grandmother, Mimi, apparently made the world's most outrageous potato salad. I was not fortunate enough to meet Mimi or taste her potato salad, but I have heard many a description of its glory. I have listened to my father-in-law brag about this dish in addition to several other members of my husband's family. According to Forrest, Mimi's potato salad was so good that when he brought the leftovers for his middle school lunch he would sell just one bite of the salad to his friends for 25 cents a piece! If a forkful was going for that rate in the early 90's to a bunch of jobless school kids then it must have been good!

So when Forrest asked that I make potato salad for him to bring to an Auburn football party today I was less than enthused. I really didn't want to make the bound-to-be-inferior dish. But he begged; and I agreed only because I wouldn't be attending the party and therefore wouldn't have to watch his display of disappointment when he took that first bite. I also chose a recipe that I knew was nothing like the infamous potato salad in order to try and avoid the comparison.

The good news is that I have several years to work on my own signature dish that hopefully my grandkids will be selling in lunchrooms one day!

All-American Potato Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light July 2006

Yield

10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds red potatoes (or baking potatoes), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 8 teaspoons white wine vinegar, divided
  • 3 hard-boiled large eggs
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup non-fat buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 tablespoon of creole mustard
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2/3 cup chopped red onion
  • 2/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2/3 cup chopped dill pickles
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 2 bunches)
  • Dried parsley for garnish.
Preparation

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until tender; drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, and toss gently.

Cool completely.

Chop eggs; set aside with other chopped ingredients. (Ignore the limes, I was having a few Mexican adult beverages while whipping this up.)

Combine remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, mayonnaise, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a small bowl;

stir with a whisk.

Add eggs, red onion, and remaining ingredients to potato mixture,

stir gently to combine. Add the vinegar mixture to the potato mixture stirring gently to coat.

Sprinkle with dried parsley; if desired.

11 comments:

Gabriela said...

...but where's the minced jalapeƱo?

Kerstin said...

I'm not a huge potato salad fan, but this looks great! What a cute story about selling it for 25 cents a bite!

test it comm said...

That potato salad looks and sounds really good.

teresa said...

wonderful looking potato salad!

Robert Luna said...

Oh it tasted so good and even more so the second time around.... Thanks for making it!

MaryBeth said...

WOW..this looks great and i bet it just keeps getting better by the day.

alexgrant said...

I'm new to this blog and I love it! I've been living in NOLA for about 5 years now, but still miss the Northeast(where I am originally from!) I especially love the Yuengling beer in the background..it's brewed about an hour from my hometown! Anyway...good posts..love them all!

Krista said...

What a great story! This is one good looking potato salad. I'm serving potato salad at a party on Saturday and I had finally just decided to buy it at the deli to save time...now I want this!

Woody said...

this was so good that I wish i would have eaten more before I brought it to the party.

Sophie said...

I think you chose a great recipe! I bet even his grandma would've been proud, it looks great :)!

Spryte said...

It might not be Mimi's potato salad... but it looks fantastic!