Monday, September 28, 2009

Fright Night

As a child, I loathed Halloween. I know that sounds completely out of line with most children's feelings about All Hallow's Eve, but I was nowhere near the norm in regards to the spooky holiday. I have always been a person that scares easily and still am to this day. I didn't even Trick-or-Treat for several years when I was younger. Although I was always easily frightened and hated the idea of scary movies, monsters and ghost; I think I know the exact moment that turned me off of Halloween during my childhood.

One year, my Daddy took my litter brother and I Trick-or-Treating in the neighborhood. Our trip started out pretty much like every other year: knock knock, "Triiiick or Treeeat", open door, drop candy in pumpkin, "Thank You", on to the next house. My brother Kent and I progressed with the monotonous routine for the next several houses. Then, at the next house the family had a nice jovial little set up on their front porch with a folding table loaded with huge bowls of candy. Behind the table sat a very friendly couple dressed in street clothes. Their front lawn was decorated with several Halloween decorations that faded into the background as we approached the friendly smiling faces of the candy distributors. As we walked closer to the couple, the gorilla suit that was laying on the lawn jumped up and chased us down the sidewalk. They had an adult lying perfectly still in the suit waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting victims at the precise time. I think I nearly jumped out of my skin and truly understood for the first time what the term "scared to death" meant. I had never been so frightened. I was done with Trick-or-Treating and most Halloween activities after that "Gorilla Attack". I was traumatized. I spent the next several years at my Grannie's house while my brothers, sister and their friends Trick-or-Treated and visited haunted houses. I couldn't take the chance of ever being so frightened again and it didn't help that I wasn't jazzed about the scary aspect of the holiday to begin with.

It is really ironic that I spent so many years not participating in Halloween, because now I love it! Not because I would ever consider scaring young children on my lawn, but because I love the idea of finding the perfect costume for our family Halloween party and I love planning the holiday themed menu for the party. I think these cookies would be a great addition to any Halloween party!

Peanut Butter-Cup Cookies
Real Simple Magazine
October 2009

Yield
48 cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 12-ounce package small peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped
Directions

1.) Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Coarsely chop peanut butter cups.

2.) Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until creamy.

Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine.

Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the peanut butter cups.

3.) Drop tablespoon-size mounds of dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake until light brown around the edges 10-12 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack to cool.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE to make these this weekend. I need to find an excuse. My favorite icecream is chocolate with Reese Peanut Butter cups crushed and sprinkled over the top. I will love this cookie.

Your Sister,

Jessica

Bev said...

I have been subscribing to your website for about 2 months and there has not been one recipe that I haven't liked! My teenage daughter and her BF will love this one, too! Thanks!

Bev

Debbie said...

The cookies look terrific. Halloween is one the "big" holidays in my house!

Woody said...

have i ever told you i love cookies?

love
you husband

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Your cookies look delicious! I love that you can see the ridges in the peanut butter cup in the one cookie.

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Oh my - all I can say is yum!!!

Ana said...

That's an interesting halloween story. I can see why you were so scared, my son is now 7 and I think that if something like the gorilla happened to him he would be truly scared too (please reconsider doing this to other young kids, don't ruin their Halloween fun!).
Your cookies look delicious, I know my husband would love those!
It is actually a great recipe to make after Halloween if you have a bunch of pb cups leftover from trick or treating!
Ana

MaryBeth said...

YUMM-O the best of both worlds, chocolate and peanut butter.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Chocolate and peanbutter were meant to be together! i'm not a huge fan of Halloween either, but i have to go with the flow, the girls still love it.

Anonymous said...

Those look soooooo good!

Maria said...

Great looking cookies!

What's next said...

I can so relate! I hated halloween as a kid but love to decorate and such for it now! I LOVED the cookies and linked to you when I posted the recipe...
http://whatsnextgirls.blogspot.com/
I had seen that and when you posted it I knew I needed to make it!

Unknown said...

I just made these...all I can say is YUM! I love PB cups :)

smr said...

I made these tonight for a holiday cookie swap for DINKS! ;) I used the Trader Joes version of Reese cups and they worked great. Thanks EB! Tell FF I said ...... War Eagle! -SR