I also should give Forrest some credit for this meal. He prepped all the ingredients and cooked the peppers and the orzo before I got home from work. Thanks F!
Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from delish.com
- 3 yellow, orange, and/or red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup(s) whole-wheat orzo
- 1 can(s) artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounce(s) baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregeno
- 3/4 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached.
Remove the seeds and white membrane.
Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover with cling wrap, cut slits in wrap to vent,
and microwave on high until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach
and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
Then stir in orzo, 1/2 cup feta, vinegar, and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute.
Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.