Monday, March 9, 2009

Carbonara Come Back

Sorry I haven't blogged in quite some time. My in-laws were visiting and after they left I traveled home to New Orleans to visit my family and friends for a few days. I sorely missed cooking and blogging and I am armed with tons of new ideas for the kitchen.

This is the last thing I cooked before I left for my vacation. It was fast, had few ingredients and something I had never tasted before. This was a simple weeknight meal with a unique flavor.

Linguine Carbonara
Adapted from Cooking Light March 2009

Ingredients
  • 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped
  • 6 quarts water
  • 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
  • 12 ounces uncooked linguine
  • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated pecorino Romano cheese, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preparation

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta;

cook until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

2. Bring 6 quarts water and salt to a boil in an 8-quart pot. Add pasta to pot; stir. Cover; return water to a boil. Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until almost al dente. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.

3. Combine 1/4 cup reserved cooking water, 1/2 cup cheese, and remaining ingredients in a bowl, stirring well.

Add egg mixture and pasta to pancetta. Place pan over low heat.

Cook 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and pasta is al dente, tossing constantly. (Do not overcook or sauce will curdle.) Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup reserved cooking water; toss to combine. Place about 1 cup pasta mixture on each of 6 plates; top each serving with 2 teaspoons remaining cheese.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I made this for the first time a few months ago. We loved it.

Anonymous said...

That looks YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous! carbonara has definitely become a member of my usual repertoire...so simply and so absolutely delicious.

Anonymous said...

Meraviglioso! Delizioso! Squisito! and lip smacking good!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I have yet to have "authentic" carbonara, made with raw egg, but this looks like a great version!

Woody said...

Thank goodness, you are back home to take care of me. I have been starving since you left. All I have eaten is stale baloney sandwiches and juice boxes. Please feed me some yummy health food! I missed our time spent in the kithen cooking together.

you husband,

Forrest

test it comm said...

That looks really good!