Wednesday, March 18, 2009

French Toast Face Off

Allison, my very pregnant and very hungry sister in law requested that I feature French Toast on my blog. I quickly reminded her that I had a husband with diabetes and that I didn't think French Toast was exactly the type of healthy food he should be starting his days with. She even more quickly reminded me that I have several recipes for cakes and cookies on my blog. I explained to her that those weren't breakfast foods and that I could share the finished products with friends or coworkers. Then, she countered with the reminder of the Beignets I cooked one morning and then blogged. Finally, she had me, I didn't have a quick witted retort to her objection. So........... I present to you: French Toast - albeit Cooking Light French Toast, but nonetheless - French Toast. Here you go Allison!

Maple-Glazed French Toast
Adapted from Cooking Light March 2008

Yield

6 servings (serving size: 2 toast pieces)

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Cooking spray
  • 12 (1-ounce) slices day-old white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread)
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • Sugar Free Syrup for topping, if desired
Preparation

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Working with 2 or 4 bread slices at a time (however many your pan will fit), place bread slices into milk mixture, quickly turning to coat both sides.

Remove bread slices from milk mixture. Add bread slices to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Remove toast from pan. Repeat procedure with cooking spray, remaining 8 bread slices, and remaining milk mixture. Sprinkle powdered sugar evenly over toast.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew I could count on you! Now... could you fly in Saturday morning and make them for me? Not too early, I like to sleep in but not too late because this baby gets HUUUNNGRY!! Looks yummy!
See ya Saturday!

p.s.
Uncle Shorrest, sometimes good food is worth breaking out the skrents!!

teresa said...

Mmmm, I love french toast, especially when I don't have to worry about the guilt of the calories! This looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Well thank god you ran out of counter arguments and made the French Toast. This looks sensational!

Debbie said...

Looks great. I can eat French Toast at any time of day!

MaryBeth said...

I love french toast...it's not only for breakfast though, yours looks perfect!

Sue said...

In Northern Ontario and in the province of Quebec, we add brown sugar, vanilla, 1/2 & half instead of milk ( and in a pinch condensed CAN milk) cinammon (and I've jsut in recent years begun to add coconut extract too! yummy!)
We NEVER add 1) syrup, or powdered sugar on top of our FRENCH toast!
It doesn't need it with our recipe!!
Try it, you'll love it!!