Tuesday, February 2, 2010

15 Things to Make Before You Die - Installment #4

I was excited about tackling the list of 15 things to make before you die, but less than elated with the number of desserts on the list. I don't really have a major sweet tooth and my husband is a type 1 diabetic, so naturally all of the sugar laden sweets on the list would have to be spaced out accordingly. Since there were so many sugary dishes on the list, I decided to make a savory souffle as opposed to a sweet one. At least I would have to make one less dessert and I love anything cheesy!

Souffles were easy to make, hard to photograph. They fell so quickly that I wasn't able to snap pictures before they started to deflate. I have a huge appreciation for all the pictures I have seen in the past of sky high souffles. They must have been taken by some very speedy photographers.

View my progress on the list below:

1. Yeast Bread - Check.
2. Beef Tenderloin Steaks - Check.
3. Cream Pie
4. Creme Brulee
5. Fudge
6. Cream Puffs
7. Crown Roast
8. Fried Chicken
9. Roux - Check.
10. Pasta and Cream Sauce - Check.
11. Roasted Turkey and Gravy - Check.
12. Chocolate Pudding - Check.
13. Layer Cake - Check.
14. Souffle - Check.
15. Chicken Stock - Check.

9 down, 6 to go!

Classic Cheese Souffle
Adapted from Sunset April 2003

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (6 oz.)
  • 6 large eggs, separated
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preparation

1. Generously butter six 1- to 1 1/4-cup soufflé dishes; set them about 2 inches apart in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan.

2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour

and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbling. Stir in milk,

cayenne,

and salt, and continue stirring until sauce boils and thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Add cheese

and stir until melted. Add egg yolks

and stir until the mixture is blended and smooth.

4. In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat egg whites (use whisk attachment if available) with cream of tartar until short, stiff, moist peaks form.

With a flexible spatula, fold a third of the cheese sauce into whites until well blended. Add remaining sauce and gently fold in just until blended.

5. Scrape the batter into the prepared soufflé dishes. Fill the dishes 3/4 of the way full.

6. Bake in a 375° oven until top is golden to deep brown and cracks look fairly dry, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately, scooping portions from single soufflé with a large spoon.

Click Here for my Adapted Printable Recipe

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

This looks fantastic!! ive never made a cheese puff!

dining room tables said...

I missed making cheese puffs! I would love to make one again. I am glad that you have one by one accomplished the things you want to make.

MaryBeth said...

Perfect....Yet another thing I have always wanted to try but have been to afraid

Unplanned Cooking said...

Yeah, that's sort of how I feel about photographing my kids. They move too quickly half my pictures blur. I think your souffle looks great!

Memória said...

Yea, you are almost finished with your list!!! You did a good job on the soufflé! It looks delicious.

Memória said...

Oh! I forgot to mention that I love that picture of you kissing the KA mixer!! Hilarious!!! I think I hugged and kissed my mixers, too!!

Tiny's Treats said...

I take all my sweets to work so they end up on someone elses waistline instead of mine. I'm sure your coworkers would love your sugary treats.

I've never made a souffle, I'll have to try that soon. Maybe for valenntine's day.

The Chef In My Head said...

Looks beautiful!!!! ~LeslieMichele

teresa said...

this is just lovely! i've never even tasted a souffle, let alone made one. i should really try this!

Krista said...

Very pretty souffle. I've still never made one.

There's an award waiting for you on my blog. : )

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
megan said...

souffle's have always intimidated me. but you made it look like something I could do. I also love anything cheesy. These look really good. I've added it to my list of things to make :)

Rachel said...

Looks great! You can make cream puffs savory too - fill the puffs with chicken salad or shrimp or whatever - very nice.