Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rice Revelation

The town I lived in when hurricane Katrina hit in 2005 contained many things that I will always miss. Most notably is my house and all of its belongings. But the town was also home to several dining landmarks that I still think about 4 1/2 years later. One of those landmarks is China Jade. China Jade was a Chinese restaurant with the best Chinese food ever! I have eaten Chinese food at several other establishments in and around New Orleans and several restaurants in and around DC and I have never tasted Chinese that could even hold a candle to China Jade. Their food was amazing! They had the best Won Ton Soup, Fried Rice and Egg Rolls - staples on a classic Chinese menu that really define a good one!

Every time I eat Chinese I compare it to China Jade and it never even comes close. I certainly didn't expect that the first time I would taste comparable Chinese to my beloved China Jade would be in my own kitchen. I simply made this fried rice to accompany some Asian Short Ribs that I was making for Valentine's dinner. It was easy and it seemed to fit the bill. I wasn't attempting to recreate my coveted Chalmette Chinese cuisine, but I was shocked when I had my first bite. It was delicious and VERY similar in flavor, texture and consistency to the best fried rice I have ever had and haven't had since prior to August 2005. I can't wait to make this for my brother Kent and my sister Jessica to see if they agree. They were my frequent partners in crime for China Jade visits and I know they will be the perfect judges.

Ham Fried Rice
Adapted from Southern Living November 2000

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1-2 cups diced cooked ham steak
  • 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
  • 4 green onions, sliced
Preparation

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet or wok at medium-high heat 2 minutes. Swirl the oil to coat the wok up the sides of the pan. Beat eggs with a whisk in a small bowl. Add eggs to wok; cook 2 minutes and scramble.

Remove from skillet; chop and set aside.

Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in skillet or wok; add bell pepper and onion; stir-fry 5 minutes until soft.

Add ham, and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.

Add rice and next 2 ingredients;

stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Stir in reserved egg,

and sprinkle with green onions.

Mix ingredients together and serve.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

9 comments:

Krista said...

This last shot is gorgeous! The rice sounds delicious. I have a Chinese restaurant like that in my life...the one I compare all others to, but have yet to find a replacement. I'm glad that if you can't have China Jade, you can at least get the rice. : )

Woody said...

The ham in this dish was awesome.

The Chef In My Head said...

I thought of you today, did you see the red Kitchen Aide with the glass bowl in this month's issue of Bon Appetit?? I just made fried rice last week, I liked the flavor but it was missing the pretty colors. This looks great! ~LeslieMichele

MaryBeth said...

I love fried rice...I have never had it made with ham, i bet it is just out of this world good.

teresa said...

mmmm, i want to dig right in!

Sush said...

I am wondering if the Jade East in New Orleans East is a part of China Jade? Do you know? I love this recipe will try it tonight. How's the house coming?

I keep running into Who Dat fans wherever I am! How about you?

Happy Day!

Crafty P said...

that looks amazing! I am so hungry and am definitely going to give fried rice a try sometime soon! thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

where did u live?

I went to highschool in ocean springs, ms.

Alot fof my friends there lost alot also.
That chinese place sounds familiar?

Elizabeth said...

Shari,

China Jade was in St. Bernard Parish.