Monday, November 16, 2009

Pressure Put-Off

When hosting a holiday feast, the chef responsible for the majority of the dishes can have a tendency to get overwhelmed. I know I always do. No amount of pre-planning, organization and prep work can completely eliminate the pressure. One tip that I always try to follow is to have no fuss appetizers that can be made days ahead so that they only have to be placed out on platters for enjoyment and I can focus on the dishes that will be served at the main meal. This particular appetizer can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated. I also like the fact that this isn't a very filling appetizer and would be the perfect starter before a huge meal.

Prosciutto and Marinated Artichoke Involtini
Adapted from Food and Wine October 2003

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds
  • One 6.5-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and patted dry
  • 1/4 cup 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 18 thin slices of prosciutto (about 7 ounces)
Preparation

1. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.

Transfer to a plate and let cool.

2. In a mini food processor, pulse the artichoke hearts with the almonds

until finely chopped. Add the cream cheese, Parmesan and lemon zest and process to a paste.

Season with salt and pepper.

3. Lay 3 prosciutto slices on a work surface, overlapping them slightly along the sides. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the artichoke filling onto the short end

and roll into a tight cylinder.

Repeat with the remaining prosciutto and filling.

Trim the ends, cut into quarters

and serve.

8 comments:

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum.. these look delicious! I love prosciutto... one of my favorites.

teresa said...

what a fun appetizer! these look delicious!

Debbie said...

Oh that looks great. What a terrific appetizer and different too!

Spryte said...

I always 'want' to do thinks I can make ahead of time... but it never works out that way for me!

Those look great! I'll have to remember them!

Kathleen said...

I am totally with you on the importance of having make ahead appetizers when you are hosting. These look great. I'm happy to have a new one in my rotation!

Krista said...

I do the same thing! Anything that I can make ahead...and I love that appetizers keep my guests happy while I hustle 'round the kitchen. These look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

All those ingredients sound DELICIOUS! :)

Victor said...

Prosciutto, my favorite ingredient. Been looking for appetizer ideas.