Saturday, November 14, 2009

Me O My O

My mother's mother was an amazing cook. She made several dishes that I loved, but probably my favorite was her crawfish pie. The crawfish pies that she made were individual sized pies in miniature aluminum pie pans and had a stuffing type filling. I loved those little pies so much and she only made them on rare occasion. She would make several dozen at a time and then freeze the extras. When she passed away there were a few left in her freezer and I can remember strategically rationing them knowing I would never have them again, especially ones that she had prepared. My mom and Grannie don't cook with recipes. It is all in their heads, so when she left this earth she took that famous crawfish pie recipe with her.

Ever since I have been cooking, I have been searching for a crawfish pie recipe that sounded similar to the ones I so fondly remember. I thought I found one about a year ago and waited until a trip to New Orleans to try them out for my siblings since I knew they were the only ones other than myself who could make a true comparison. While I was preparing them, I could tell something wasn't right and my fears were confirmed when my brother Trey told me they were like eating Cajun flavored sawdust. They were absolutely too dry and we ended up having to pitch them.

This was my second attempt and since I was unable to find another individual pie recipe I figured I would give this full size pie a go. It was to die for! The flavor was spot on and although the filling was more loose than my Grannie's recipe it was outrageously delicious. I found the pie crust very crumbly and tough to make into a pretty presentation, but the end result was a perfectly flavored crust with just the right flakiness. I wouldn't change a thing and I can officially claim my crawfish pie recipe hunt over. I have decided to savor the memory of my Grannie's recipe and start a new tradition with this one!

I think I might even get the Dirty Coast T-shirt with the design below to celebrate my success:


Crawfish Pie
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 5 1/2 tablespoons ice water
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallots
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon Emeril's Essence
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1 pound peeled crawfish tails
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Directions
In a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Using short pulses work in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Work the dough until you have a smooth ball.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough in half and roll each ball into a circle about 14 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Gently fold the circle of dough in half and then in half again so that you can lift it without tearing the dough, and unfold into a 9-inch pie pan. Reserve the other circle for the top of the pie.
In a large saute pan, heat the butter. When the butter is melted, add the onions, peppers, shallots, garlic, salt, cayenne, Essence, and black pepper.
Saute for 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden and wilted. Add the tomatoes and cook for 6 minutes.
Add the crawfish tails and parsley.
Stirring occasionally, cook for about 4 minutes. Dissolve the flour in the chicken stock and add to the pan.
Stir for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat. Add the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
Cool for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Pour the cooled filling into the piecrust.
Top the filling with the remaining crust and crimp the edges. Place the pie in the center of a cookie sheet and brush with an egg wash.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges of the piecrust are golden. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Place a slice of the pie in the center of a plate. Garnish with chives.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and-a file gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

Looks delicious! Put this on the must make when I get back to New Orleans list.

Your sister,

Jessica

Maryanna said...

I love crawfish! This looks delicious!

teresa said...

what a wonderful recipe, filled with great memories, this looks delicious!

Angelica said...

I love crawfish and this pie looks gergeous. I am making this next week, I hope! Thanks for sharing!

I have always loved crawfish, growing up in Sweden we have crawfish parties every August. It's very common in Sweden to have xrawfish parties in August! Look it up online, it's great fun!

MaryBeth said...

I have never eaten crawfish before..but this dish really makes me want to give them a try.

Woody said...

I loved this dish. When I came home from work the next day ready to eat some, there didn't seem to be any left. That one little slice I got was wonderful though.

Page said...

My dad makes crawfish pie and it's also a rare occasion when he does. Now I'm sitting at my desk at work and want some really bad!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I have never had crawfish pie! What have I been missing? I love crawfish and love all things cajun and creole. This sounds awesome.

Spryte said...

That sounds delicious!!!

I've never had crawfish pie... but I've also never tried a crawfish dish I didn't love!