Sunday, November 9, 2008

Our "Donuts"

If you have ever traveled to the city of New Orleans chances are that you have dined at the outdoor Cafe Du Monde and feasted on beignets and cafe au lait. Cafe Du Monde is one of the tourist attractions in New Orleans that the natives actually participate in themselves. I can't say that growing up in New Orleans I ever took a horse drawn carriage ride around the French Quarter or got my palm read in Jackson Square, but I can't begin to count the number of times I have dined at the famous cafe on Decatur Street that never closes.

Beignets
Cafe Du Monde Beignet Mix Box Recipe

1. Mix 2 cups of mix

and 7 fl oz of water. Stir with spoon until blended.

2. Roll to 1/8" thickness on floured surface, using flour liberally on dough.

Cut into 2 1/4" squares. Makes about 2 dozen.

3. Fry in an inch or two of oil at 370 degrees basting continually on each side until puffy and light golden. Drain well. (Oil should be hot enough for dough to pop to surface in 8-10 seconds.) Electric skillet works best.

4. Enjoy while hot. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.

Since I don't have the luxury of traveling to downtown New Orleans for this special treat, making them at home was a good substitute but nothing like the original. I could not get them to "puff" up as much as they needed to in order to look like the originals. My best friend Amanda gave me the mix last time she came to visit and I am excited I finally had the chance to make them. It was a great breakfast treat that made our hearts travel back home as we indulged.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How bout you make more than your heart travel back home!!

Alejandra Ramos said...

Oh wow those look so good! I've been meaning to try out some beignets!!

Anonymous said...

I tried them from the mix a few months ago...you're right, definitely not the same. I couldn't get them to puff up either...probably a ploy to get people to New Orleans more often.

Anonymous said...

I love these!!!!!

:) Phammy

Unknown said...

Oh that familiar box... I get one every Christmas and on my birthday in April. :-D My Canadian family LOVES beignets and begs me to make them.

Your's look amazing!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

YUM! What's not to love about fried dough and powdered sugar, NOTHING! Great photos, wish I had me a few of thoses!
~ingrid

MaryBeth said...

I had these once and they were wonderful.

Ally said...

You know I'm drooling right now, don't you?
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

jDub said...

OH!! i saw this mix and was wondering how it was. beignets are my all time favorite dessert. i gotta try it! thanks for sharing!