Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Crab-less Cakes

In New Orleans you can find several seafood markets in every town. These markets/shops are your go to spots for live seafood, boiled seafood, fresh fish, fresh shrimp, seasonings, potatoes, corn, stuffed artichokes, seafood soups, and fresh crab meat. I have been in the DC area for almost two years and I haven't seen a single seafood market in my neighborhood. Because of this sad fact, I am forced to buy my seafood from the regular national chain supermarkets. As far as shrimp are concerned this isn't that big of a deal, but crab meat from the supermarket isn't so great. In fact, I don't even think it is good at all. I have had a few occasions where the supermarket crab meat was decent but I have had even more occasions where it was unbearable. Because of the not so fresh crab available to me I try to stray away from crab dishes. It is just too expensive to be disappointed with the results. So when I had a craving for crab cakes, I did some searching to find a crab-less alternative to satisfy my craving.

Artichoke Cakes with Cajun Remoulade Dressing
Coastal Living

Ingredients
  • 3 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
  • 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, lightly packed
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Cajun Remoulade
Preparation

Squeeze liquid from artichokes, using paper towels, until artichokes are just slightly moist. Place artichokes in a medium bowl. Add eggs and next 3 ingredients.

Combine mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients in a separate bowl

; stir well.

Add mayonnaise mixture to artichoke mixture; stir gently until thoroughly combined.

Cover and chill at least 2 hours.

Place a large, lightly oiled nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop artichoke mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls;

place in skillet, and flatten slightly.

Cook 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden and slightly set. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake at 400° for 10 to 12 minutes or until done. Serve with Cajun RĂ©moulade.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Divine, dah-ling - simply Divine. Such elegance from your kitchen!

Cara said...

These sound great, I love artichokes!

Ally said...

that looks like a fabulous modification to having crab in the cakes. Yum!