Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Apple of My Eye

My husband is very supportive of all of my crazy hobbies and this blog is no exception. He helps me ready ingredients as I cook, he comments on almost every entry, and he passes out my blog business cards as if he were earning commission. So as you can imagine he was very compassionate when I expressed my sadness over daylight savings and how it was going to affect my food photography. I need natural light to take decent pictures of my dishes and since the time change it is pitch black outside before I even leave work. I spent a couple of days wining about how my blog would suffer all winter because of the daylight issue.........

Yesterday he was off of work for Veteran's Day and I wasn't. I came home to the most amazing surprise. Forrest had purchased all of the material we needed to make a homemade light box. My food photography could survive despite the darkness of the night. I couldn't have been happier and I can truly say that I am so thankful to have such a thoughtful husband!


I highly suggest this contraption to anyone in the same situation as I was. It only cost about $30 dollars and was a cinch to construct. The picture of the apple above was taken at 10pm at night!

Homemade Light Box

Ingredients:
5 pieces of white foam board from Micheal's
Masking Tape (Duct tape will melt in the heat of the lights)
2 Clamp Spotlights
2 100 watt Daylight Light Bulbs

17 comments:

Angie said...

That's so sweet! You've got yourself a keeper. ;-)

MaryBeth said...

He sounds great

Anonymous said...

Uncle F is verrrry thoughtful!! It kind of reminds me of those summer days when Trey is home from school and he picks up all his PlayStation games from the floor... well, maybe not exactly the same feeling, but you get the general idea!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm having serious lightbox envy! You perfectly expressed my own concern about the loss of daylight. I'm thrilled with Forrest's resourceful act and I applaud you for posting it. My hat's off to you both.

Melissa said...

Great job! Does he want to mass produce these? I need one! It's on my Christmas list :)

GravissFamily said...

Wow, what a thoughtful husband F is. Is that why he couldn't play video games with my hubby on Veterans day? Good trade :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. This is going to be our project for the weekend.

Anjanette said...

wow, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Where, may I ask, did he find the spotlights?

Elizabeth said...

anjanette,

He got the spotlights and the lightbulbs from Home Depot.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Esi said...

This is a fantastic idea and not too expensive. Love it! By the way, that bacon biscuit dressing below looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

You have answered my prayers! I've been thinking up this cantraption in my own mind but it hadn't gotten this far yet. Thanks for inventing the wheel before me.
Dana Zia
http://danazia.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

What a sweet husband!

Cacahuete_sr said...

this is brilliant! i am also worrying about my current blog status due to daylight savings! my last picture was so dark! thanks for sharing your wonderful idea :)

Rachelle S said...

What a nice guy! I was just telling mine the other day that we need to build one of these, I hate this time change too.
:)

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You keep up this great blog and work full time as well! Where do you find the time?

carisnell said...

Oh I am soooo going to do this! Thanks for the great idea!