Monday, June 2, 2008

Shape Up or Ship Out


Shape magazine dedicates about 10 pages of each issue to food, nutrition and recipes. I have gotten Shape magazine for quite a few years now and have tried several of their healthy recipes. In the last year I haven't even seen a recipe in the magazine that I have wanted to try. It is so bad that I am at the point of reconsidering my subscription. The magazine hasn't always been such a let down - I do have one recipe from Shape magazine that I make on occasion that is actually pretty tasty. The recipe is from one of their issues from about two years ago. I held on to it because it is an easy go to lunch or weeknight meal. It is surprising that I find this recipe enjoyable because I really don't like turkey and even though I eat it from time to time, I don't ever crave it or prepare it as part of a meal. This sandwich is really flavorful, healthy, and a breeze to make. I wish that Shape Magazine would feature more recipes like this one!

Sweet Onions

Saute one medium red onion, sliced, in 2 tablespoons olive oil until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and continue sauteing for 7-9 minutes. If the onions begin to stick, add water, one teaspoon at a time. Remove onions from heat and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.


Spicy Relish

In a food processor, combine 1 red bell pepper, 3 tablespoons Sweet Onions (recipe above), 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes. Pulse to form a chunky relish.

Panini with Turkey, Spicy Relish and Parmesan
Shape Magazine

Ingredients

3 ounces roasted turkey breast, sliced thinly, or 3 ounces low-sodium deli turkey
1 whole-wheat English muffin
1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, thinly sliced
1-2 tablespoons Spicy Relish (see recipe above) or a store-bought red-cherry-pepper relish

Directions

Preheat a panini grill. (If you don't have a panini grill, use an outdoor grill or frying pan. Then wrap a brick in foil and use it as a weight for pressing the sandwiches.)

Place the turkey on the bottom half of the English muffin, then cover with the sliced cheese. Spread the top half of the muffin with the spicy relish.


Grill until the English muffin is golden brown and sandwich is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes, and serve.

Above is a picture before grilling.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Great post! I forgot how english muffins make for a great panini!