Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Shape" - less


Several weeks ago I wrote about how Shape magazine hasn't published any recipes that interested me and I was even considering not renewing my subscription because of it. Well after that post I chose not to renew my subscription due to the recipe disappointment and the fact that after collecting the magazine for several years I feel I have an arsenal of pages to go to for fitness advice if I should need it (which I don't plan on it since I have a new form of exercise I will tell you about in a future post). So as the endless "This is your last chance to renew" postcards came in the mail I discarded them all officially saying goodbye to Shape magazine after a long five year relationship.

Low and behold, just like everything else in life - you don't miss it until it's gone! As I sat in the pedicure chair (I apologize to anyone who is opposed to thinking about my feet and food at the same time) yesterday and thumbed through the salon's magazines I stumbled across the newest issue of Shape. Not only was Julianne Hough, my favorite member of Dancing with the Stars, on the cover but I came across a recipe that looked to die for! I briefly thought about ripping the page out of the magazine but knew I would be too riddled with guilt to enjoy the meal if I went that route. So I came home and scoured the internet until I found the recipe. And I am so glad that I did. This recipe was really delicious. It was so fresh and light and had a huge emphasis on the flavor of the fresh herbs. It would be perfect served alfresco with a glass of white wine. It is an awesome healthy summer dish that incorporates three of my favorite ingredients - Artichokes, Mushrooms and Corn!

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Artichoke Puree & Roasted-Corn & Tomato Topping
Shape July 2008

For the Artichoke Puree:

3/4 cup artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 clove garlic
sea salt

For the Corn-Tomato Topping:

2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, pressed (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 ears corn, in their husks
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

For the Mushrooms:

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
sea salt (optional)

Place the artichoke hearts, oil, thyme, garlic, and a small pinch of salt in a blender and pulse until smooth. Add more salt to taste. Set aside. (I added a sprinkle of fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for extra flavor and highly recommend it!)

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a bowl and drizzle with oil. Add garlic (if using), basil, and parsley and toss gently to combine. Set aside.

When grill is hot, cook the corn, turning frequently, about 10 minutes, or until husks are charred and pulling away from cobs. Let stand until cool, then strip husks and remove silk by rubbing with a dish towel. Cut kernels off cob and toss them with tomato mixture; sprinkle with salt and pepper.

While the corn is cooling, grill the mushrooms. Pour oil into a small dish. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat both sides of each mushroom with oil. Place mushrooms on grill, gill side down, for about 8 minutes. Flip mushrooms and continue grilling for 6-8 minutes more, or until edges begin to brown. Lightly sprinkle with salt, if desired.

On a large serving platter, place mushrooms gill side up and spread artichoke puree over them.

Top with corn-tomato topping and serve.


4 comments:

Gabriela said...

You are a cooking diva and you humble me. Is there no end to your talent?

Rachel said...

This looks amazing! I cant wait to try it. Great blog!

Woody said...

The corn and tomato topping was very tasty.

Anonymous said...

I think this looks delicious. You must fix this for you dad and me.