Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Magazines and Martha

I love the time of the month when all the new monthly issues of my magazine subscriptions arrive in the mail. For about a week or so everyday I come home to a new little surprise in the mailbox (ok well not really in the mailbox but on the kitchen counter since Forrest is the mail fetcher in this household - but you get the point). As you can imagine, the majority of my magazine subscriptions are cooking related with the occasional Shape and InStyle thrown in to keep me grounded. But my Cooking magazines are my true joy. If you read this blog often you know that I absolutely adore Cooking Light and all of their recipes. My other favorite is Martha Stewart Living. Something about her magazine makes me so happy. I love the beautiful photos, the unique craft ideas, the overly complicated decorating techniques and the pure and classic yet sophisticated recipes.

I adore her magazine and the ideas inside it and I draw a great amount of inspiration from it every month. This month's issue had some amazing recipes which included a Flag Cheesecake (rest assured that you will be seeing this recipe on my blog come the Fourth of July), a Panini Bar and this blog entry's feature - Grilled Lamb Shoulder with Herb Aioli. Forrest and I both love Lamb and this recipe seemed so simple and the perfect solution to a weeknight meal that I could quickly throw together after a long day at work.

Grilled Lamb Shoulder Chops with Herb Aioli
Martha Stewart Living - July 2008

Ingredients

Serves 4

  • 1 large egg
  • 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh chives
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 lamb shoulder chops (I used boneless lamb loin b/c I couldn't find shoulders)
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
Directions
  1. Using an immersion blender or a food processor, combine egg, garlic, and herbs.
  2. With the machine running, pour in oils in a slow, steady stream, blending until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a dish, press plastic wrap on surface, and refrigerate while lamb is cooking.
  3. Preheat grill to medium-high. Season lamb with salt and pepper,
  4. and grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
  5. Serve with aioli and lemon wedges.

This meal was really good. I thought the lemon sounded like a strange addition but it really rounded out the aioli and was an essential component of the recipe. Make sure you squeeze a litttle lemon juice over your aioli to finish it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Yum! Delicious!

okay...wow again!

Gabriela said...

How ironic that we both share the same opinion of Martha's awkwardness and inability to engage with her guests. One of my guilty pleasures, however, is to watch Martha's program just to observe her stiff and rather disingenuous comments. I find her bad form rather entertaining. The lamb chops look divine, dah-ling, simply Divine.

Anonymous said...

I like Martha! The people on her show rarely care about (or take seriously) the meal they are cooking or the craft they are doing. And I am glad she puts them in their place. And she kinda looks like mom :)

The lamb looks great! I want you to make this when I come visit too. This and the mussels!

Big sis,
Jessica

Anonymous said...

What's this 4th of July Flag cake you speak of... I can't wait! However, I'm sure you will make me roll each little blueberry in sugar or cut stars from the strawberries telling me how I am going to be the next one to make your blog- then we will just toss it all out like an old pair of shoes!! Remember the first attempt at Sawyer's birthday cake!?! Surely you didn't think I enjoyed rolling out those fondant dots!!
Just kidding, it was a lot of fun!
BTW: The lamb chops look great!!

Elizabeth said...

Allie,

This time if you help, I promise to mention it on the blog. And good guess - there are blueberries and strawberries involved and a small amount of intricate decorating as well. Get to mom's early!

Anonymous said...

Another dish that didn't come from your cooking mom. I have never cooked lamb in my life. I opt for the mussels when you cook for me instead of this lamb dish.

Caroline said...

I love lamb - chops, leg, any part! You can cook lamb for me anytime. Your Lamb Chops with Aioli look really appetizing - I can almost smell them...:>)
And if it helps about Martha's mag, she probably has a team of 100 people who create it and she gets to put her name on it. Let's hear it for the little people!!