Wednesday, May 28, 2008

As American as Corn on the Cob

When I was planning my Memorial Day menu, I knew I wanted to make something patriotic. I could make star-shaped cookies or something of the sort but that seemed a little too cheeky. After further thought I remembered the saying, "As American as Apple Pie" - well after the Great Lime Tart Debacle of 2008 I knew that attempting dessert of any kind was out of the question for quite a while. I pondered my American Menu Item issue for a little longer and contrived the answer through a bit of stretching. Corn was as American as Apple Pie - I mean the Indians and the Pilgrims served it at the first Thanksgiving after all! And I happen to love corn on the cob so this seemed like the perfect solution. I have a recipe for roasted corn and since we don't have a grill it is my only option. I wanted to prepare it using a recipe that I use often and even though Chipotle Chile Powder isn't the most American spice the end result is delicious so I ignored that fact.

Chipotle Lime Butter:
recipe courtesy me!
1 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature ( I used I Can't Believe it's Not Butter)
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder

Put the butter in a mixing bowl and, using a rubber spatula, mix the lime juice, salt and chipotle. Use immediately or refrigerate.


Roasted Corn on the Cob with Chipotle Lime Butter
recipe courtesy me!

6 ears corn, shucked
Chipotle Lime Butter, recipe above


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Coat each ear of corn in 1 tablespoons of the chipotle lime butter

and wrap individually in foil.

Roast until hot and steaming, about 25 minutes. Serve with extra butter on the side.

In the picture above you can see the flecks of chipotle and the butter and lime juice at the bottom of the foil packet. This is truly a delectable side dish and awesome for the coming summer months!

4 comments:

Gabriela said...

Sounds and looks positively mouth watering! We've added your recipe to our recipe box. Are you familiar with Desert Garden spice products at www.comfortfoods.com? That's where we get our dried Chipotle, Jalapeno, Habanero, and other dried chili powders. Gorgeous photo of that corn!

Elizabeth said...

That is a really neat website Gabriela! Thanks for sharing.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Great idea for the flavored butter... and your corn looks supersweet!

Woody said...

I love corn too. it was very good and had just the right amount of spice too it.