I purchased this Fumee de Sel when we traveled to Seattle over a year ago. There is a lovely shop in Pike's Place Market called Market Spice. I procured a bag of this unique salt and used it here and there in recipes, but never found the right recipe with simple enough ingredients to really give the salt the attention it deserves. This grilled "pizza" recipe was perfect! The specialty salt added a smokey flavor to the veggies and the pita that complimented the grilling perfectly.
Grilled Portobello Goat Cheese Pizzas
Adapted from Cooking Light August 2004
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (6-inch) pita rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 (6-ounce) package portobello mushrooms
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) goat cheese
- 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat an outdoor grill over medium heat.
- Combine garlic and 1 tsp of olive oil; brush evenly over pitas.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over pitas.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over mushrooms and tomatoes. Brush mushrooms and tomatoes with remaining oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Grill pita for 1 minute each side; mushrooms for 6 minutes or until tender, turning once. Grill tomatoes for 1 minute.
- Combine goat cheese with crushed red pepper. Spread goat cheese evenly over warm pitas. Arrange the mushrooms and tomatoes evenly over pitas.
- Sprinkle with basil and Serve.
** Disclaimer: I was not compensated in any way by Market Spice. I just wanted to mention the shop since it left such a great impression on me.