Monday, February 21, 2011

Specialized Sandwich Style

When it comes to sandwiches I have always been a Ham and Cheese type of girl. Now that I am a more adventurous eater I will often try other varieties, but growing up Ham and Cheese was always my first choice and because of that it still remains a personal favorite. Therefore, I think it is only natural that I feature a few different versions of the classic sandwich here on my blog. Or maybe I am just trying to span all of the ham and cheese cultures that I can come up with. A while back I presented you with this Italian version and now I give you H&C with a French spin.

Creole Croque Monsieur
Adapted from Cooking Light January 2010

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
  • 1 tablespoon fat-free mayonnaise
  • 8 (1-ounce) slices Italian bread
  • 6 ounces thinly sliced ham
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup fat-free milk
  • Cooking spray
Preparation

1. Combine mustard and mayonnaise in a small bowl.

Spread 3/4 teaspoon mustard mixture over each of 4 bread slices; layer each slice with 1 1/2 ounces ham and 1/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle evenly with pepper.

Spread 3/4 teaspoon mayonnaise mixture over each remaining bread slice; place, mustard side down, on top of sandwiches.

2. Combine egg substitute or egg and fat-free milk in a shallow dish. Dip both sides of each sandwich into the egg mixture.

3. Heat a large nonstick griddle or large skillet over medium heat.

Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sandwiches to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and cheese melts.

Serve.
Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will take one minus the ham add smoked turkey and avocado ... oh and substitute the bread for a croissant ... lol

Your Sister,

Jessica

fuat gencal said...

Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve çok iştah açıcı görünüyor.

Saygılarımla.

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

This looks delicious! I've never had a croque monsieur!

Anonymous said...

this sounds yummy! Have you ever had the ham and cheese sandwich from Maspero's in the Quarter? I get one every time I go down to NOLA. Which means I get one this weekend, yay!

Sush said...

OH Me OH My...can't wait...this is a sandwich worth the making! As usual you rock!
Loves~

Tupper Cooks! said...

That sammie looks awesome!

Holly said...

This looks incredible!!!

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight for dinner...it was great!

I love coming to your site to get ideas for dinner...thanks,

Your old officemate,
Cheryl

alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.