Monday, January 31, 2011

Teensy Toast

Weekend breakfast is something I really look forward to these days. We are up so early with Rex that there is always time to add another home cooked meal to the day when our work schedules aren't an obstacle. Most Saturday mornings we are blessed with a visit from my sister and 2/3 of her kids. After she drops her daughter off at dancing school they usually stop by while waiting for her class to finish. We made these one Saturday anticipating our usual Saturday Morning guests, but life got in the way and things didn't turn out as planned. My sister's daughter got sick at dancing and they had to turn around and get her before they made it to our house. Bummer too, because these tiny toasts were delish! I will definitely have to make them again for my nephews. Forrest won't complain either ;-)

French Toast Bites
Adapted from Sunset September 2004

Yield: MAKES: About 6 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 loaf (about 1 lb.) sturdy artisan-style bread
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup low-fat milk (1% or 2%)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • powdered sugar
Preparation

1. Cut bread into 1-inch-thick slices. Trim crusts; cut bread into 1-inch cubes. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Add 2 cups bread cubes and mix to saturate.

2. Lightly butter a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Lift bread cubes from mixture, shaking off excess liquid.

Add cubes to hot pan and cook (adjust heat if necessary),

turning as needed making sure to brown all six sides of each cube, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.

3. Repeat to soak and cook remaining cubes. Discard any remaining egg mixture.

4. Sprinkle the French Toast Bites with powdered sugar and serve.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

7 comments:

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

That sounds amazing. Love the picture, wish I could reach right in and take one :)

teresa said...

best breakfast ever!

Unknown said...

Yum!! Everything is better bite sized

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed this great breakfast!!!!! I call for a repeat!

Your sister,

Jessica

Woody said...

I love french toast and these bites were so good. I recommend making this sometime.

the husband

FF

MaryBeth said...

I really love french toast but for some reason I love it even more when they are tiny...along with strawberry sauce.

Jenn said...

What a great idea. I haven't had french toast sticks for at least 10 years. I bet the kids love these.