French Toast Bites
Adapted from Sunset September 2004
Yield: MAKES: About 6 servings
- 1 loaf (about 1 lb.) sturdy artisan-style bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk (1% or 2%)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- powdered sugar
1. Cut bread into 1-inch-thick slices. Trim crusts; cut bread into 1-inch cubes. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Add 2 cups bread cubes and mix to saturate.
2. Lightly butter a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Lift bread cubes from mixture, shaking off excess liquid.
Add cubes to hot pan and cook (adjust heat if necessary),
turning as needed making sure to brown all six sides of each cube, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
3. Repeat to soak and cook remaining cubes. Discard any remaining egg mixture.
4. Sprinkle the French Toast Bites with powdered sugar and serve.