Adapted from Cooking Light November 2005
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 pounds of shredded frozen hashbrowns, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated fresh onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons grated Granny Smith apple
- 2 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, broken into 48 pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 400°.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites) in a large bowl,
stirring until blended.
Divide mixture into 48 level tablespoon-sized pancakes, squeezing each to remove excess moisture.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 16 pancakes; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
Add 1 teaspoon of oil at a time as needed. Arrange on two baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
Repeat procedure twice with remaining oil and pancakes. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
Combine mayonnaise, apple, yogurt, and horseradish in a small bowl; place 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise mixture on each pancake. Top each with a salmon piece; sprinkle with chives.