Thursday, September 23, 2010

Crop Craze

Depending on where you live, there may be a bountiful amount of fresh corn in the supermarkets at an amazingly low price right now. I love fresh corn and I love finding new creative ways to use up that super cheap super sweet maize. The corn I used for this dish was probably the cheapest I have ever gotten fresh corn. It was free! My sister in law, Allison purchased it for a family cookout and we didn't end up using it during the meal. When it came time for volunteers to take the fresh corn home, I was front and center. I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but I knew I wanted it and I knew it would end up in something delicious. I just couldn't have imagined it would have been this delicious. This is a great quick and easy side dish that could be served along side any weeknight meal or even star in a special holiday meal like Thanksgiving. You must give it a try.

Corn Pudding
Adapted from Southern Living
July 2001

Yield: Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
Preparation

Remove kernels from the cob using a sharp knife or a corn zipper.

Combine first 4 ingredients.

Whisk together eggs, whipping cream, and butter.

Gradually add sugar mixture, whisking until smooth; stir in corn.

Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8 x8-inch square baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let stand 5 minutes.

*3 cups frozen whole kernel corn or canned shoepeg corn, drained, may be substituted.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

7 comments:

megan said...

don't you love when you get leftover food for free? This looks good! :)

Carrie said...

YUM! I love this kind of stuff. It's corn season here but starting to go out of season. I will have to get some for this before that.

Anonymous said...

Was I invited to this family cookout?!?!?

Your sister,
Jessica

Sush said...

Great recipe, but I am waiting anxiously to hear about you and all things in development phase...Please?!!?

Caroline said...

Oh E...that looks so good. I love corn pudding. Comfort food from my childhood. Yours looks so delicious. I want to jump into the picture. Thanks for posting this one.
C

MaryBeth said...

Delish....we would so totally love this for dinner. We have a great deal of fresh sweet corn that I took off the cob and froze. I will have to try this one for sure.

Dipped Berry said...

These dishes looking so delicious and unique.