Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pour some Sugar on me !

I have been haunted by a bag of leftover fresh cranberries sitting in my fridge since Thanksgiving. I had no idea what to do with them until I came across this recipe. I thought these little candies were so cute and seemed very easy to make. I think they would make great Christmas treats that you could package in fun little tins and give as gifts. I liked the idea of these candies because they aren't your typical chocolate Christmas candy or cookie - they are very unique. You could rest assured that you are the only one in your circle delivering sugared cranberries as Christmas treats (Being original is always important as far as I am concerned.) I also think they would be very pretty served in a small bowl next to the nuts at a cocktail party.

Sugared Cranberries
Adapted from Cooking Light December 2003

Yeild

9 servings (serving size: about 1/3 cup)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 3/4 cup superfine sugar (I didn't want to purchase this so I put it in a food processor and processed until superfine - this works, trust me)
Preparation

Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring mixture until sugar dissolves.

Bring to a simmer; remove from heat. Do not boil or the cranberries may pop when added. Pour mixture into a bowl over cranberries.

Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving steeping liquid, if desired. Note: You can keep the steeping liquid to make mixed drinks with.

Place superfine sugar in a shallow dish. Add the cranberries, rolling to coat with sugar. They will be very sticky, best if you transport them into the sugar using a slotted spoon or a fork.

Spread sugared cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry.

Note: The steeping liquid clings to the berries and helps the sugar adhere. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine the mouthwatering pleasure the tart cranberry produces when curshed in one's mouth against the sugary sweetness. These look perfectly delightful, but what I'm completely taken with is your pineapple colander. It's marvelous!

Sara said...

I was just thinking about trying out this recipe with a bag of cranberries I have in the freezer! Glad they came out well for you

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a fabulous idea - not only festive as decor but sweet to eat!

Anonymous said...

I just froze 3 bags of cranberries for baking this winter. Do you think frozen cranberries will work? or is fresh essential?

Anonymous said...

What a FABULOUS idea! I've never seen this done, but it looks fantastic!

Elizabeth said...

Frozen would definitely work. Just make sure they are fully defrosted before you begin making the recipe.

RecipeGirl said...

I've been wanting to make these forever. They're so pretty!

Anonymous said...

They look like little jewels! And so easy! I love this recipe!

Anonymous said...

You might want to be sure to pick over the cranberries before you pour on the sugar water. Mine had been in the refrigerator only a few days, but I found many berries that were turning brown and/or soft. This might be OK if you were actually cooking them in a sauce, but I think it would ruin the taste of individual berries.

Unknown said...

They look so beautiful! Thank you for a non-chocolate option for sweet treats!

Emily www.justeatfood.com

Anonymous said...

They are BEAUTIFUL!

Cheryl said...

I just made some of these earlier this week! My friend gave me the recipe years ago, and I've made them every year since. They're so fun!

gaga said...

Those are so pretty. It's like they're frosted with snowflakes, so festive!

Anonymous said...

I made some a few days ago, and while my boyfriend liked them, I thought that they were WAY too bitter for my taste. I wonder if I was doing something wrong?

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of making a non-chocolate based Christmas gift :)! I'll have to save this recipe for next year.