Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hidden Habit

One thing you might never suspect of me as you read through my gaggle of always homemade, frequently time consuming, and always fresh recipes is that I am a fast food junkie. It is not my proudest quality but it is a fact nonetheless. This entire tendency is tied to my love of French Fries. If you know me in my real life - this is no surprise to you. Chances are you have accompanied me on several visits to these detested restaurants. Most cooks would gag at the idea of driving through a fast food establishment and ordering a bagged meal. I, on the other hand, often crave this experience. Sad - I know - but if feels better getting it off of my chest. I have said it, I have revealed, and I feel liberated! Ok, maybe a little dramatic (but while I am in the mode of revealing things, here is another, I am very dramatic).

Because I do eat fast food on a somewhat regular occasion (slight underestimate) I never want to make sandwiches at home. When cooking I like things that I can't get at a drive-through and I like things that are more "special". My husband is the exact opposite of me. He never joins me in my fast food habit (good for him). He hates it and will always find another alternative to the super in a sack I have chosen for myself. Because of this he does enjoy homemade sandwiches and he loves meals that involve two piece of bread, lettuce, mayo, and meat. It makes him very happy and this meal was no exception. And it was healthy - his favorite characteristic of any meal.

Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayo
Adapted from Cooking Light December 2008

Yeild

4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)

Ingredients
  • Mayo:
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced

    Chicken:
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute
  • 3 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 4 1/2 ounces baked tortilla chips (about 6 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

    Remaining ingredients:
  • 4 (2-ounce) Wheat Kaiser Rolls
  • 12 (1/8-inch-thick) red onion slices
  • 4 lettuce leaves
Preparation

1. To prepare mayo, combine the first 4 ingredients.

2. To prepare chicken, combine egg substitute, hot sauce, oregano, and salt in a large zip-top plastic bag. ( I put in a dish then poured into a zip lock bag so I could mix more easily)

Cut chicken breast halves in half horizontally to form 4 cutlets. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours or up to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.

3. Place tortilla chips in a food processor;

process 1 minute or until ground.

Place ground chips in a shallow dish.

4. Working with one cutlet at a time, remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Coat chicken completely in chips.

Set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and chips.

5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and done.

Spread mayo evenly over cut sides of rolls. Layer bottom half of each roll with 3 onion slices, 1 lettuce leaf, and 1 chicken cutlet; top with top halves of rolls.


I wasn't sure how the baked tortilla chips would taste on the chicken. I was pleasantly surprised. It created a deep-fried-like crunch with much less fat. It didn't taste like tortilla chips at all. I think this would make a delicious coating for shrimp as well. This meal was very easy and definitely a week night achievable meal.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sandwich looks fabulous! It never would have ocurred to me to use ground tortilla chips as a breading agent and now that I see them, well it's really quite elementary my dear Watson. Makes perfect sense; as in the sense of taste.

Caroline said...

Yours looks better than the picture in the magazine. So proud of you for using another CL recipe... now, on to the Hot Fudge Cakes from the cover!

Melissa said...

I made the same thing this week & loved it,but your picture is so much better than mine :)

Anonymous said...

Tortilla chips. Genius. Also adds a little salt which we love. But that mayo. Divine!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great concept using tortilla chips. This has got me thinking, I wonder how masa would work as a coating? Nice photo's

Woody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Woody said...

"two piece of bread, lettuce, mayo, and meat" really does make me happy. excellent sandwich recipe, b.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! Great use of tortilla chips for flavor and texture!

Bethie said...

I just found you trying to find a subsitute for my Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich. I think I am going to give yours a try. Did you pound your breasts before frying?

Elizabeth said...

Bethie,

I purchased thin chicken tenderloins at the supermarket, so basically they are already pounded. If you can't find them, then I would definitely suggest pounding them so that the crust doesn't burn while cooking a thick chicken breast.