Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nesting

I know I have been neglecting my blog. The truth is that life has given me a swift punch in the stomach recently. Things have been so crazy around here. Our landlord called and said he needed to break our lease because his wife was pregnant and they needed to move back into our condo before she was due. I didn't want anything to do with a pregnant lady living in a cardboard box so we quickly started looking for a new place to live. A couple days into the search my mom landed in the hospital. She is OK, but it was quite a scare nonetheless. Shortly after that drama we had to travel out of town for my little brother's college graduation, then my sister came in town for work and stayed with us and now Forrest is headed out of town for his little brother's college graduation. I will move as much as I can over the weekend in his absence and when he returns we will hustle to get the big heavy furniture out of the house utilizing the muscles of he and his friends. I won't be in the kitchen until at least the end of next week because as soon as I post this recipe I am starting to pack my pots into boxes for the move to the new place that will be sans electricity until then. So please be patient. I promise to return to the kitchen and this blog like gang busters!

And to hold you over I have decided to present a fitting recipe to help celebrate our soon to be new "nest"!

Potato Nests with Sour Cream and Smoked Salmon
Adapted from All You 2006

Yield

8 Servings

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds large russet potatoes (about 2 large)
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced smoked salmon (2 oz.), plus a small amount for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch black pepper
  • Small parsley leaves
Preparation

In a large saucepan, bring unpeeled potatoes and enough cold water to cover to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer potatoes until just cooked, about 25 minutes.

Drain potatoes, let cool and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until cold.

Meanwhile, pulse smoked salmon and lemon peel in a food processor, scraping down bowl.

Add sour cream and process until combined.

Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.

Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease 32 mini-muffin-tin cups. Peel and coarsely grate potatoes.

Gently toss potatoes with salt and pepper in a bowl. Place about 1 heaping Tbsp. potato mixture into each muffin cup

and press against bottom and up sides (I used the top of a cocktail shaker to form the mixture into the bottom of the tins), allowing some mixture to extend above rim. (Do not spread mixture too thin or holes will form while baking.)

Bake potato nests until edges are dark golden, about 20 minutes. The original recipe recommended baking them longer. And although my oven is pretty true to recipe timing, I found my nest to appear a little overdone. They didn't taste bad, but they looked a little dark so I decreased the cooking time in this recipe to 20 minutes.

Cool nests in pans for 10 minutes. (Nests may be made up to 4 hours ahead, and I even made mine the night before and stored in an air tight container until the next day.)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Place potato nests on a clean, large baking sheet and bake until heated through and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer potato nests to a platter. Using a small spoon, dollop about 1 tsp. sour cream mixture into each potato nest

and top each with a tiny strip of smoked salmon and a parsley leaf. Serve right away.

14 comments:

Molly Jean said...

These look great! I'm not a huge salmon fan, but I LOVE the idea. Especially the potato nests. I'll have to try it!

MaryBeth said...

So glad that everything is ok with your mom but yet so sorry to hear all that is happening to you all at once. Keep you chin up and your fabulous smile on... These little nibbles look so good, I love salmon

Gabriela said...

These look scrumptuous! Thanks for the recipe. I've bookmarked it for DH. I'm sorry to hear about all the recent excitement in your lives, but it does sound like you're managing despite the added pressures.

JEnn@slim-shoppin said...

That is a lot of drama going on in your life!

Good luck with everything, thanks for stopping by my blog!

Krista said...

Yummy! These look great.

Good luck with the move. I sympathize. In the first five years of our marriage we moved 4 times, always to a new state!

Hopefully things will calm down and you can relax and settle in to your new home.

Esi said...

This is so elegant. Perfect for a dinner party!

Anonymous said...

These are the CUTEST appetizers! What a fabulous idea. I love them.

Deseree said...

What a wonderful idea! These look so cute and delicious. Thanks for sharing! :)

teresa said...

These are adorable little baskets! I hope everything goes okay for you in the next few days. Take good care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

They were delicious! I wanted the left overs for breakfast the next morning but Forrest got to them first and took them to work for lunch. Oh well! I did enjoy the crawfish omelets you made for me instead ... and Forrest missed out on them :)

Your Sister,

Jessica

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a hectic time for you! I love how appropriate these apps are - so adorable and a great way to use mini muffin pans!

Kerstin said...

What cute little nests - so perfect for a party! I'm glad your mom is ok. Good luck with the move!

Maks said...

they look pretty! well worth the effort, even if it's only eye-candy.;-) The orange maple leafs are particularly striking.

Zo said...

Awesome nests! At first I looked at them and thought I'd never be able to make them, but using mashed potato makes sense, I can see it happening now...hehe

Thanks!