Friday, May 1, 2009

Marvelous Marsala

Sorry I have neglected my blog all week. I was on business travel and therefore on a hiatus from the kitchen. I made this dish last weekend and couldn't wait to post it. I love Chicken Marsala and this was a really decedent version. It was really easy and would be great for entertaining because it is sure to wow. This Marsala has a familiar flavor with an extraordinary twist.

Chicken with Mustard Marscapone Marsala Cream Sauce
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, scallopini pieces (thin sliced)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 cup dry Marsala wine
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • 12 ounces dried fettuccine
Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken

and cook just until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cool slightly.

While the chicken cools, melt 2 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onion and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.

Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 12 minutes.

Add the wine and simmer until it is reduced by half, about 4 minutes.

Stir in the mascarpone and mustard.

Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through and the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped parsley. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Swirl the fettuccine onto serving plates. Spoon the chicken mixture over top of the pasta. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve.

12 comments:

living_insanity said...

That looks so wonderful. Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite dishes to eat!

teresa said...

Mmmm, how pretty and yummy!

Anonymous said...

I would like to try this too.

Your sister,

Jessica

Gabriela said...

Your recipe won me over the moment I saw it required the Mascarpone. My DH is making it now as I type. Says he needs me to move over now so he can finish reading your preparation instructions.

pam said...

This looks rich and wonderful!

Megan said...

This marsala is making me hungry!

Kerstin said...

oh yum, I love the mustard marscapone twist - it looks amazing!

gaga said...

Mmm, that really is marvelous! I love the addition of marscapone and mustard, I would've never thought of that.

Marian said...

MMMmmm... I'm inspired for dinner tomorrow night! Thank you!!

Patty said...

Oh - yummy! I love Marsala and I never would've thought of marscapone. It's on my list of recipes to try!

mansionmogul said...

This looks so amazing! I'm totally going to make it. Thx for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Wow this brings back memories!! My Mom used to make that with smoked chicken (poulet fumé) and crème fraîche (in the US, sour cream would work just fine, or 1/2 sour cream + 1/2 cream cheese). The smoked chicken brought out incredible flavor into the sauce; it was heavenly! I'll have to make it next week. People around me will kill for it. Great recipe!