Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mobile Morning Muffins

We had two short-stay house guests this weekend. They were only here from about 11pm on Friday night until 9am on Saturday morning. With the majority of their stay spent sleeping, I only had a few hours to do something special for them. I knew they would be rushing out of the house on Saturday morning as they headed to their next destination so I decided to make a breakfast that was easy to grab and go.

Healthy Banana-Blueberry Muffins
From Martha Stewart Everyday Food

Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/3 cup reduced-fat (2 percent) milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars

with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In another bowl, mash bananas with a fork (you should have 3/4 cup);

stir in milk and vanilla.

With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture to butter mixture,

beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined. Fold in frozen blueberries.

Divide batter among muffin cups.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer muffins to a rack to cool 10 minutes more.

9 comments:

Ellie said...

Yum! These look delicious!

Gabriela said...

Ummm...I'm going to be passing through your city too. I will only have time for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Any chance I could camp out with you guys?

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Thanks for checking out my site!

These muffins look delicious! I love the whole wheat flour and wheat germ - these would make a great breakfast! I will bookmark this recipe to give it a try!

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

How Sweet....like a bed and breakfast. =)

teresa said...

I love the idea of making this in their own little parchment paper, cute, they look wonderful!

I have a little award for you on my blog!

Melody said...

These look so good and I love the parchment paper idea. So cute! I WILL be trying these!

Leah Duquette said...

These are baking in the oven as we speak. I omitted one egg, only had a 1/4 stick of butter and added some coconut. I'll let you know how they turned out!

Pamela said...

I'm definitely trying these soon, but I think you may have a typo in the recipe. For the bananas, I think you meant to put "about 1 cup", not "about 1 POUND". Otherwise, I'm off to go make these... although they'll probably end up as mini-muffins so that there will be more to share with my co-workers. :D

gaga said...

Mmm, I've been looking for a healthy muffin as a grab-and-go breakfast. This looks perfect!