I love to eat dishes with shrimp, but hate hate hate to peel shrimp. Luckily I have a very willing shrimp peeler in my home. Forrest always steps up to the plate without complaint when it is time to peel shrimp. And EVERY single time he is peeling shrimp for us he reminds me why he really doesn't mind peeling shrimp. As the story goes, he used to peel shrimp during P.E. class in high school. His P.E. teacher would pay Forrest and his friend $5 for every 5 gallon bucket of shrimp they would peel for him during their regularly scheduled P.E. class.
Now.....there are so many things wrong with this story I don't even know where to begin. First off, that is highway robbery. Five bucks for the labor that would go into peeling a five gallon bucket of shrimp is nearly slave wages. Then there is the whole "teacher paying their student" factor in addition to letting them miss their regular P.E. class for his own benefit! Those are all of the more serious issues associated with the tale. Then the practical side of me kicks in and I start thinking about the minor logistical details, like where did he refrigerate 5 gallon buckets of shrimp before and after they were done. Or what was he doing with 5 gallon buckets worth of shrimp, did he own a restaurant? Cook for a shelter?
Regardless of the wackiness of this memory, I am just glad it didn't turn my husband off of his shrimp peeling ways. And I am happy it worked in my favor, because my going rate isn't even $5 bucks..... all I can offer in the end is a really delicious meal!
Shrimp, Corn & Chorizo Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light July 2013
- 12 ounces large shrimp, peeled
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 ounces sliced fresh Mexican chorizo sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- 12 red grape tomatoes, halved and divided
- 12 yellow teardrop tomatoes, halved and divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preparation1. Combine green onions, garlic, corn and tomatoes in one bowl.
Combine Shrimp, Chorizo, Sriracha, and salt in another bowl.
Stir to distribute Sriracha. Combine both bowls of the two mixtures. Add 1/4 cup minus 1 Tbs chopped basil; toss shrimp mixture gently to combine.
2. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp mixture to pan, and cook for 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and sausage is cooked, stirring frequently. Place about 1 1/2 cups shrimp mixture in each of 4 shallow bowls, and sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, 6 tomato halves, and a sprinkle of the remaining chopped basil.
Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe