Last week I worried that with our tantrum throwing toddler we would never have a nice meal again. My outlook was grim and I didn't have high hopes about future dining options in our home. But that was after a particularly trying night and things are always better in the morning. In fact, this is the meal we made the day after I wrote this post and I couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome. This recipe was the perfect one to get me back to a positive conquer-the-kitchen attitude. It was easy, half accomplished by my husband on the grill (team work always helps!), and insanely delicious. I never imagined that this recipe with an ingredient as unfamiliar to me as anchovy paste could have such and impact. Forrest and I tag-teamed the recipe and were blown away by what we served just a mere 20 minutes after commencing. The cheap cut of meat (I got two half-pound boneless sirloins for 5 dollars total) was grilled to perfection, the slicing suggestion and presentation were amazing and the anchovy/lemon butter was the most unimaginably perfect accompaniment. No matter what your situation at home may be, this is a gourmet meal in both taste and appearance that you can serve in little to no time!
Grilled Sirloin with Anchovy Butter and Rapini
Adapted from Cooking Light March 2012
- 1 (1-pound) boneless sirloin steak
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced onion (about a half of a small onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces broccoli rabe (rapini/brocollini), two inches of the bottom stems cut off
Preparation1. Heat a grill medium-high heat. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Add steak to grill; cook for 3 minutes on each side. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak across grain into thin slices.
2. Place butter in a bowl. Microwave at HIGH 15 seconds. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon rind, juice, and anchovy paste;
stir until combined. Set aside.
3. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper; sauté 30 seconds.
Stir in broth and rabe; bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining rind and salt.
4. Place 3 ounces steak and 1/2 cup rabe on each of 4 plates. Top each steak with 1 1/2 teaspoons butter.
Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe