Asiago, Mushroom, and Sausage Strata
Adapted from Southern Living Christmas Cookbook
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 (8oz) package sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 tsp minced dried thyme
- 1 (16oz) loaf sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring often, 6 to 7 minutes or until; meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
Melt butter in pan over medium heat; add mushrooms and shallot, and saute until tender.
Stir in sausage and thyme.
2. Place bread in a lightly greased 13'x9' baking dish.
Sprinkle mushroom mixture
and 1/2 cup cheese over bread.
Whisk together eggs and remaining 3 ingredients;
pour over mushrooms and bread.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and chill at least 8 hours (I chilled over night).
3. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes or until set and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe