Adapted from Paula Deen
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded reduced fat Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 4 green onions, green part only
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine the chicken and next 8 ingredients.
Unroll 1 piecrust onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15-inch circle. Cut out rounds, using a 3-inch cookie cutter. Re-roll dough as needed to make use of scraps. Repeat procedure with remaining piecrusts. Arrange 1 round on a clean, flat surface. Lightly brush the edges of crust with water using your fingertip.
Place 1 heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture in the center of the round.
Fold the dough over the filling,
pressing the edges with a fork to seal.
Repeat with the remaining rounds and chicken mixture. (Up to this point, the recipe can be made ahead and frozen for up to 1 month). Arrange empanadas on the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with egg. Bake for 15 minutes.