Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Countdown Side Effects

I think it has something to do with my husband's daily countdown to the commencement of college football but I definitely have not been cooking summer-time dishes. First was the pumpkin pie and now stuffing! I am pretty sure he is responsible for my fall fare because every morning when i wake up I hear exactly how many days I have left before I get the pleasure of spending my Saturday's watching Auburn, LSU, Notre Dame and several others clash in their weekly matches. He is a fanatic. He loves all sports and plays several but he has an obsession with college football and all that goes along with the twelve games during the regular season and the additional bowl games. So far, every event I have slotted on our calendar starting in late August has been met with the criteria that we can go as long as no one "good" is playing at that time. I only have 22 more days until I get to start every Saturday morning by receiving his cheerful "Good Morning and War Eagle"s - it is going to be a long four months !

Cornbread and Andouille Dressing
Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse


2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1/2 pound andouille, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Basic Cornbread ( I used one box of Jiffy)
3 slices white or whole wheat bread, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
2 large eggs, beaten
1 to 2 cups chicken stock, as needed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and set aside.

In a large skillet, cook the sausage until brown and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl to cool.

With your fingers, crumble the corn bread into the bowl, add bread, the green onions, parsley, and thyme, and mix well with your hands.

Add the salt, pepper, cayenne, and eggs, and mix well with your hands. Add enough broth, 1/2 cup at a time, to moisten the dressing, being careful not to make it mushy.

Transfer to the prepared dish and

cover with aluminum foil. Bake until heated through, about 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Note: When making the dressing, make cornbread the day before.

This stuffing is really delicious and very flavor-packed. It was so good that I even considered dethroning my traditional holiday contribution of my delectable baked macaroni and cheese. But don't worry family, it didn't get bumped yet.

I am also entering this dish in Joelen's August Culinary Adventure event "Cajun/NOLA Eats". This is my first blogging event so I will have to keep you updated on the outcome.

8 comments:

Elly said...

This looks soooo delicious. I am such a sucker for andouille, and of course cornbread too. Yum!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! I really hope you submit this to the NOLA blogging event I'm hosting. The deadline for recipes is this Saturday so hopefully you can submit this by then. This looks great! Details on the blogging event are on my blog (upper left hand corner). :)

Woody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Woody said...

i can't wait for football to start!

Anonymous said...

I have to give this recipe a star in my reader. Every year, I read about cornbread and sausage dressing and I have yet to try it! This is going to be my year - this recipe looks fab!

Anonymous said...

oh wow...that looks ridiculous.

Woody, I'm with you man. Ready for some football. Saints tonight!

Tim aka Ricky

Gabriela said...

BOO football - YAY Cornbread Andouille Stuffing! Gimme an S, Gimme a T, Gimme a U, Gimme an F, Gimme another F, Gimme an I, Gimme an N, Gimme a G! Stuffing! Stuffing!

Jennifer said...

That looks very tasty, I had a horrible attempt at stuffing last holiday season and have been trying to find the perfect recipe! Thanks!