Sunday, July 27, 2008

Snappy Scallops

We had a massively busy weekend. Friday night was a big fancy work party at the Ritz-Carlton, Saturday was Sarah's end of summer pool party in the day and the the Graviss' Grilled Pizza party at night. I was so exhausted from the hectic fun-packed weekend and I didn't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen tonight. The following recipe was the perfect solution. I was able to throw it together in less than 20 minutes and it was healthy, light and delicious.

Seared Scallops with Fresh Linguine and Romano Cheese
Cooking Light August 2008


1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated linguine
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (about 1 1/2 ounces) finely grated fresh Romano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
4 lemon wedges


1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water. Combine pasta, reserved 2 tablespoons pasta water, 1/4 cup cheese, 1 tablespoon oil, chopped basil, and pepper in a large bowl; toss well.

2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Sprinkle salt evenly over scallops;

add scallops to pan. Cook 1 minute on each side or until golden.

3. Place 1 cup pasta mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 3 scallops and 1 1/2 teaspoons remaining cheese. Serve with lemon wedges.


Maryanna said...

I love scallops. This dish looks really good.

Gabriela said...

Okay - I've bookmarked this recipe for my DH (along with every other recipe of yours). I can just savor the wonderful combination of flavors!

Joelen said...

Oh, we're big fans of scallops but sadly, I don't think to buy them very often. This looks like a fabulous recipe I'll need to try very soon!

Lore said...

Simple and fast always worked well when it comes to a pasta dish. In fact I believe that is the best way one can enjoy good pasta. Looks delicious!

Woody said...

the scallops were even better the next day. I am lucky to have a wife to cook such good food for me.