Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Savory Straws

I added these little pretties to my menu for Rex's Baptism at the last minute. I was looking for something that would add some height to the table and serving these in a highball glass was the perfect solution. They popped off the table in the ideal way as if they were screaming, "Please take me, I am delicious"!

Cheese Straws
Courtesy
Martha Stewart


Ingredients
  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 14 ounces frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 4 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, coarsely grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • Coarse salt ( I used Fleur De Sel)
Directions

On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry dough (use an all butter pastry for best results - I used Dufour a brand I found at Whole Foods)

to a 12-inch square. Use a pastry brush to dust off excess flour; brush some beaten egg over dough until well moistened. (Work the following steps quickly or the dough will become too warm and very hard to work with).

Sprinkle bottom half of dough with half the cheese and a pinch of salt.

Fold top half of dough over cheese-covered section, and press gently all over dough to seal. Roll out dough again to a 7 1/2-by-12 1/2-inch rectangle. Brush top of dough with more beaten egg. Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese, and season with salt; press gently on topping to adhere it.

Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, trim edges to form a neat 7-by-12-inch rectangle.

Cut dough into 1/4-by-12-inch strips. Twist into spirals, and place about 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets. To prevent straws from straightening out, gently press both ends onto sheets.


Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight).


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until straws are golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven; loosen straws from sheets with a thin spatula and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Click Here for Printable Recipe

7 comments:

fuat gencal said...

Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

Saygılar.

teresa said...

i can hear them calling my name now!

MaryBeth said...

I will beat Teresa to your front door for these...YUMM-O Elizabeth!

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

WOW - these look amazing!

Susan www.ugogrrl.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look delicious and I'm sure they were appreciated by your guests. I love them because they are so easy to do. This is my first visit to your blog. I've been browsing around and found lots to like. I love the food and recipes you feature here. I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Victor said...

I love cheese straws. I usually put blue cheese in mine.

Nadine Gourrege said...

Do they preserve for long and how long do they stay crispy?